Level 3 Certificate in Leadership and Supervision
Information and Booking
Training provider: Apprenticeship College
Cost: Course fees are fully funded from Imperial’s apprenticeship levy and there is no cost to the department. The standard cancellation policy will apply.
Duration: 13 Months.
Dates: The next cohort will start in spring 2020 (dates to be confirmed)
How to apply: Please contact the Apprenticeships Manager to apply for this programme or for further details.
Have you recently taken your first steps into a line management or supervisory role – or are you hoping to do so in the near future? This new course will allow you to develop the core knowledge and practical skills to manage, motivate and inspire others. The 13-month programme will involve monthly workshops, group coaching, 1:1 skills coaching and work-based application of learning. You will join a cohort of new and aspiring managers working towards a Level 3 Diploma in Leadership and Management accredited by the Institute of Leadership and Management, an internationally recognised qualification.
Who should attend
This programme is geared primarily at staff who are at the start of their career in leadership and management - or who wish to take their first steps into management. Unlike Imperial Leadership and Management Development Programme (ILMDP), you do not need to manage staff already. The programme is also appropriate for those already in management roles who may have practical experience but wish to develop their theoretical understanding of management skills and gain a qualification.
Please note: this programme is not appropriate for staff who have already completed ILMDP. ILMDP graduates who are interested in funded management qualifications should contact the Apprenticeships Manager to discuss funded management qualifications at levels 6 and 7.
- Have approval from their line manager.
- Be ready to commit to the minimum study requirement (up to two days a month for workshops and group coaching) and have agreed with their manager how this can be balanced with operational demands.
- As this is a pilot programme, be willing to provide honest and helpful feedback to the course organisers.
- Have Maths and English at Level 2 (i.e. GCSE grade A* - C / 9 – 4 or equivalent). If you do not have this, there will be an opportunity to complete it as part of the programme.
- Have long enough remaining on their contract of employment to complete the programme.
- In line with Education and Skills Funding Agency rules, staff who are not UK or EEA citizens should already have permission to live and work in the UK for the duration of the programme and should have been ordinarily resident in the UK or EEA for at least three years prior to starting this course.
Course Content and Delivery
The programme is fully aligned to the Team Leader/Supervisor Apprenticeship Standard and will enable participants to:
- Gain a greater awareness of how they come across as a supervisor and how they can further develop
- Learn what good line management looks like and benchmark where they are currently
- Plan and manage work in a way that improves productivity
- Effectively manage performance (including tough conversations around under-performance)
- Manage others in a way that builds trust and develops morale
- Communicate assertively and challenge appropriately where required
- Present themselves with more confidence
- Gain greater awareness of basic business and operational management principles
- Learn how to initiate and manage small projects
Participants will attend a monthly workshop and a monthly group coaching session. In between, there will be follow-up activities.
On successful completion, participants will gain:
- Level 3 Certificate in Leadership and Supervision accredited by the Chartered Management Institute
- The option to apply for professional registration with the Institute of Leadership and Management or the Chartered Management Institute..