Techniques for Effective Public Speaking
Information and Booking
Trainer: Debra Leigh
Cost: Internal, no charge. Please check our cancellation fees before booking.
Duration: 3 hours (10:00-13:00)
Format: In person
Part of being a successful academic is connecting with audiences, students, conference delegates or research board panels. This masterclass supports academics who feel they could improve their style, credibility or confidence in these areas. The focus will be on developing vocal skills and power, increasing assertiveness and demonstrating confidence through body language. The workshop will include active facilitation and interactive scenarios in the academic context. The course leader is a professional actor from the Royal Central School of Speech and Drama who will use actor-training techniques and personalised feedback to build competence and confidence.
- Understand the secrets of presence & power through pitch, pace, pause and vocal technique.
- Increase awareness of personal impact & communication style.
- Incorporate performance techniques to increase the resonance of presentation style.
- Experiment with presentation styles and measure the impact.
- Use persuasive rhetorical elements to drive home a strong message.
- Explore a range of actor training techniques to bring content to life.
- Develop a toolkit of storytelling skills to motivate and inspire any audience.
- Discover how to frame your message and weave a narrative that resonates.
- Receive feedback with individual action points.
Who should attend?
This session is designed for academics who have completed compulsory teaching modules.