As a manager, you play a key part in role-modelling behaviours and practices to eliminate discrimination and support a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive and contribute regardless of their background, experience, position, or status. Creating an inclusive environment has a positive impact on productivity and wellbeing.
- Role model behaviour and practices to eliminate discrimination
- Understand your role in creating a culture of inclusion where everyone can thrive and contribute regardless of their background
- Recognise that Equality of opportunity is essential to achieving excellence
- Understanding how unconscious bias operates in the workplace.
- Feel confident about managing claims of harassment, bullying, or victimisation
- Understand the law and how to eliminate harassment best
- Learn what organisational support mechanisms are available
- Consider the ideal work environment for all in your department.
- Know where to find College resources
Embody EDI principles in the employee life cycle, starting from recruiting, planning and conducting induction and probation; conducting 1:2:1s, PRDPs, giving recognition, and supporting development. Everyone is different, and their experience is unique. Engage in a conversation to understand your staff's strengths and how they can contribute to the team.
- Articulate visible commitment to equality, diversity, and inclusion
- Be modest about capabilities, admit to mistakes and create an environment for others to contribute
- Develop awareness of own blind spots, flows in the system, and biases
- Be curious about others, listen, seek to understand with empathy
- Be sensitive to other cultures and adapt
- Redistribute work with input from the team
- Enable collaboration between others by empowering them, seeking diverse opinions and thinking; create a psychologically safe environment.
"When it comes to something as multi-layered as diversity, none of us is an expert. We can always be doing something more." Jennifer Brown, How to be an inclusive leader
- Cultivating Inclusion and belonging (video)
- The key to inclusive leadership (article)
- Prioritising inclusion on your team (video)
- Driving change and anti-racism (16-minute video)
- Managing a multigenerational workforce (56 min) LinkedIn Learning
- Managing Someone Older Than You (video)
- Disability support EDIC
- All training courses from EDIC
- The inclusive leader 5 min read (Korn Ferry)