Managing a manager
Being division managers, departmental managers, section managers requires a different skillset from managing a team or one person.
How to get work done through other managers and their people?
- Role model right behaviours and management practices.
- Use coaching. Make time to explore your manager’s relationships with their direct reports and how they coach and give feedback.
- Acknowledge them in public for a job well done.
- Give space and allow them to lead and discover what is authentic for them.
- Allow time for their development, involve them, and look for opportunities to observe them in action.
- Get to know their team.
- Be open to feedback and create opportunities to share their feedback with you.