Welcome toolkit for managers
Suggested pathway for new managers:
- Knowing yourself (Lumina Spark facilitated session)
- Performance management cycle (e-learning)
- Leading through feedback (e-learning and facilitated session)
- Building effective teams (e-learning and facilitated session)
- Recruitment & selection (e-learning)
- Equality, Diversity and Inclusion (e-learning)
- Maximising your Impact as a Leader (e-learning and facilitated session- includes 360 feedback tool)
We aim to give you a good start as a people manager at Imperial and add to your local induction programme, whether you stepped up to a management role or joined as a manager from outside of Imperial.
Line management of people has a significant impact on overall experience and performance at work. Therefore, we have created this Welcome toolkit for managers to help you understand:
- What it means to be a good people manager
- Manage for Equality, Diversity, and Inclusion in every aspect of the employee life cycle.
The management and leadership behaviours and skills you choose to deploy directly impact the culture where you, your colleagues, teams and students work and learn. These are the ability to lead people, be fair and inclusive, set direction, role model and keep others accountable. It also requires you to be resourceful, accountable, and invest in your development.
Top tips for your success as a new manager:
- Have a plan for your first 100 days
- Get a mentor or a coach
- Book time in your first week to introduce yourself to and find out about each person who reports to you
- Ask questions and listen
- Get to know your key objectives and performance data
The elements below must be completed during your first six months of taking up a management role, regardless of whether you are new to the College or stepped up to the role: