Manual Handling of Liquid Nitrogen Pressure Vessels and Dewars
Information and Booking
Trainer: James Britz BOC
Cost: Internal - No charge.
External not available
Duration: 2.5 hours
How to book:
Bookings must be made by Section Safety Coordinators or Safety Officers. Delegates should have completed the relevant e-learning session and, if using pressure vessels, attend Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen prior to making the booking request.
Who should attend
Staff and postgraduate students whose activities involve the manual handling of Pressure Vessels and Dewars containing Liquid Nitrogen should attend this course. This practical course will emphasise hands on manual handling techniques and principles in moving and transporting Cryogenic Liquids. Participants will be able to competently demonstrate safe use and handling of Pressure Vessels and Dewars.
Essential Information: pre-requisites
Delegates must complete the relevant e-learning session: Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen and, if using pressure vessels, attend Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen prior to making the booking request. Bookings must be made by Section Safety Co-ordinators.
Delegates must-read Code of Practice - Liquid nitrogen - storage, use and transportation within College premises (PDF).
Delegates must wear appropriate footwear, steel toecap safety boots or sturdy robust footwear.
- Applying a Safe System of Work
- Select and use correct PPE, safety footwear and clothing
- Move vessels on road, paths lifts and corridors and assess risks
- Decant from pressure vessels and non-pressurised dewars into smaller vessels
- Check for defects and integrity of vessel and bases and report problems
- Recognise the need for annual checks for pressure vessels and who to contact
- Implement emergency procedures
- Competently demonstrate safe use and handling of pressure vessels and dewars.