Manual Handling of Liquid Nitrogen Pressure Vessels and Dewars
Information and Booking
Trainer: BOC Team
Cost: Internal - No charge.
External not available
Duration: 2.5 hours
TBC (09:30-12:00 or 13:30-16:00)
How to Organise: Faculty, Departmental Safety Officers or Section Safety Co-ordinators to contact BOC directly to organise local familiarisation. Lee.Healy@boc.com
Who should attend
Staff and postgraduate students whose activities involve the manual handling of Pressure Vessels and Dewars containing Liquid Nitrogen. This practical will emphasise hands-on manual handling techniques and principles in moving and transporting Cryogenic Liquids. Participants will be able to competently demonstrate the safe use and handling of Pressure Vessels and Dewars.
Essential Information: pre-requisites
Before making the booking request, delegates must:
- Complete the e-learning session: Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen
- Attend the practical Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen Cryogenic Liquids and Decanting Liquid Nitrogen.
- Read the relevant Code of Practice - Liquid nitrogen - storage, use and transportation within College premises (PDF).
Delegates must wear appropriate footwear, sturdy, robust footwear or steel toecap safety boots. No trainers or open-toe sandals.
- Applying a Safe System of Work
- Select and use the correct PPE, safety footwear and clothing
- Moving vessels on roads, paths, lifts and corridors and assessing risks
- Decant from pressure vessels and non-pressurised dewars into smaller vessels
- Check for defects and integrity of vessels and bases and report problems
- Recognise the need for annual checks for pressure vessels and who to contact