Radiation Protection Supervisor Training
Information and Booking
Trainer: Radiation Protection Team - Safety Department
Cost: Internal - No charge.
External not available.
Duration: 1.5 hours (11:00 – 12:30)
Who should attend
A 1.5 hour tailored training course on MS Teams for College employees who are appointed as new Radiation Protection Supervisors and those who are due to refresh every three years.
Delegates must complete the e-learning modules relevant to their role (See the list below) prior to the MS Teams session.
Pre-course joining information will be sent. There will be an assessment at the end of the course.
- Module 1: Management of Radiation Protection at Imperial College (for all)
- Module 2: Radiation Protection for Users of Sealed Sources
- Module 3: Radiation Protection for Users of Unsealed Sources
- Module 4: Radiation Protection for Users of X-rays
- Radiation and radioactive substances regulations
- RPS role and duties
- Radioactive materials control and accountancy
- Work and personnel registration
- Staff inductions
- Controlled and Supervised areas
- Contingency Plans
Heads of Department should note that if work with ionising radiations is carried out in their department there may be a statutory requirement to appoint one or more Radiation Protection Supervisors (please contact the RPA or RPO for details). Such appointments must be made in writing and sufficient time and resource must be given to individuals in order that they can carry out the duties associated with the post (please refer to College Guidance Note IRPM-ICRP-027; Duties of a Radiation Protection Supervisor).
Please bear in mind that if the demands of your current post mean that you will be unable to have enough time to carry out the duties required of an RPS, you should not be or accept an appointment as one. As an example, it is likely that RPS duties in a department with 5 to 10 radiation workers could take between 5% and 20% of an individual's time.