The Travel Team
Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings for you.
Please follow the conditions outlined in the Expenses Policy under Accommodation, subsistence meals and other overnight expenses when booking accommodation. See UK rates and Overseas rates for location-based room rates under this policy.
Accommodation do's and don'ts
Please review and follow the guidelines listed at Accommodation safety for a safe stay.
London and campus-based accommodation, hotels and meeting rooms can be booked in-house through the College Reservations team at specially negotiated rates. See Local hotel accommodation.
Egencia is the College’s preferred travel agent. Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings and registration for you. Use the Egencia Online Booking Tool (link opens in a new window). Ensure Purchasing have set you up with a traveller profile to enable you to book using the tool. See Traveller profile registration.
Accommodation - Egencia
Booking a hotel
Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings and registration for you.
1. Ensure that you have a travel profile set up to use Egencia. See Traveller profile registration.
2. Ensure that you have a valid purchase order raised for the booking. Alternatively you can use an individual credit card and claim the costs back through the expenses process. If you have permission to raise purchase orders, use the Egencia link on the iProcurement front page. Ensure the correct type is selected and include any booking fees in your requisition as detailed on the form descriptions.
3. Log in to the Egencia Online Booking Tool (opens in a new window) using the username and password supplied by Purchasing as part of your traveller profile setup.
4. From the Book tab, select from ‘Flights & Eurostar’, ‘Hotels’, ‘Trains’ or ‘Cars’. Once you have selected your trip type you can begin searching and booking trips. To create a hotel-only booking, select Hotel from the trips page. To include a hotel booking with your flight, select Add hotel from the Flight Summary page. Check-in and check-out dates will be based on the flight option selected.
5. To search for hotels, select the search type i.e. location, favourite hotels or company location. Besides city, you can choose to find hotels by address. You can refine your search by price and rating. See Accommodation, subsistence meals and other overnight expenses for the expense policy on hotels and room rates.
If the hotel you are searching for does not appear on the booking tool, or if you are attending a conference and there is a conference rate provided by the organiser that is not available to book, you contact the Egencia Customer Service team to make this booking offline.
6. There are two different hotel rates available to book on the Egencia booking tool:
- Egencia and Expedia preferred rates – These rates have been negotiated by Egencia to offer College travellers the best value. They can include additional added amenities and benefits such as complimentary wifi and breakfast and enhanced cancellation terms and conditions. These rates are prepaid and can be automatically paid against a Purchase Order and billed to the College. Any extras not included in the rate will need to be paid on departure.
- Published rates – These are the standard rates offered by the hotel and will require payment on departure. A ‘billback’ (payment via purchase order) can be arranged offline by request to the Egencia Customer Service team (see Egencia contacts and resources, a fee applies).
7. Please ensure all cancellation terms and conditions are noted. You will be charged if you cancel a non-refundable room, or after any cancellation policy deadlines.
Airlines and hotels consider any booking with more than 9 people to be group bookings. The Egencia Meetings & Events Team can book group accommodation, group flights and all conferences and events for you and this can be paid using a Purchase Order. Please direct all enquiries to email@example.com.
The charge for groups and meetings bookings will be £65 per hour + VAT (which is the hourly rate of the time spent organising).
If you request a takeover booking (where the arranger has already contacted the event/hotel/venue directly and got a quote and then contact Egencia to take over the booking) then the charge will be 5% of the total price.
It is more cost effective if Egencia are utilised at the start as Egencia cannot really add value or negotiate on rates if a booker has gone direct to a venue.
Changes and amendments
Changes can be made online subject to the selected hotel's terms and conditions.
Airbnb for Business
Airbnb for Business is an alternative accommodation choice when travelling on College business for stays longer than 3 days. Please log onto the link and register your Imperial email address Airbnb for Business (link opens in a new window). You will receive an email to activate your account. Please see the FAQs to help with any questions you may have.
Accommodation - Airbnb
The following policy guidelines must be adhered to:
1. Airbnb should only be used for stays over 3 days long. If a traveller wishes to book an Airbnb stay for less than 3 days, they should get approval from their manager.
2. Travellers must only stay in:
- Properties with a 4-star rating or above
- Entire homes or apartments. Business Travel should not be booked in unsuitable properties -no castles, RVs, shared rooms, etc.
- Properties where the owners is not resident
3. Travellers must tick the box indicating that the trip is a business trip on the payment page.
4. Travellers must satisfy themselves that:
- They have access to all the amenities they require
- They are staying in a suitable location for their business objectives (i.e. suitable walking distances; close to public transport, etc.)
- The cancellation policy for the property booked meets the objectives of the business trip
5. Travellers must leave a review for the Airbnb property in which they stayed.
Airbnb bookings should be made through the Airbnb Business Travel page (link opens in new window). This search feature pulls out unsuitable listings like shared rooms, treehouses and boats. You can add additional filters based on your specific needs or preferences.
See Accommodation, subsistence meals and other overnight expenses for the expense policy on hotels and room rates. The Airbnb service and other fees should be included and pro-rated for the number of nights being booked when calculating the per-night cost. The service fees often include services that are automatically included in any hotel fees (such as cleaning), which is why the total cost of an Airbnb booking should be reviewed against the rates in the expenses policy, and not just the nightly rate.
When booking a reservation for a business trip, select the tick box that will mark your trip as a business trip on the checkout page. Payment for any Airbnb stays should continue to be made via credit cards and claimed back via the expenses process. You cannot currently pay for bookings using a College purchase order.
1. Can I pay via Purchase Order?
No. The only payment option currently is for payment to be made on personal credit card and claimed back via expenses.
2. I’ve got an account already with Airbnb, do you know if I can link this to my Imperial email or would I need to make a new account?
You should be able to link it. Within your account profile settings, there is a field for a business email address. If you include this, then you should get the verification email through and it should all be on the same profile. You do not need a new account.
3. So do I click on the link from the email sent to my Imperial email but log in with my regular Airbnb details?
Yes – exactly that. You have no need for an additional account. The email address will then be linked as your ‘work’ email address.
4. Do I need to register again with an Imperial email? I used the invitation I received and the system opened a Business Travel offer page but it recognised me (as being already registered).
There is no need to create a new account with Airbnb. In profile account settings, there is a field for a business email address – which is where you should put your imperial email address. This will then recognise you as an Imperial employee, and if travelling on business, you simply need to tick the ‘business travel’ check box when finalising your booking.
5. In the Policy guidelines it has that the cost of the property must not exceed the college expenses caps. When determining if the cap has been reached, is the amount just the cost of the property itself or the total cost of the booking, including any service fee the company charges.
It is the total cost of the booking that should not exceed the expenses cap. The service fees etc. should be included and pro-rated for the number of nights being booked. The service fees often include services that are automatically included in any hotel fees (such as cleaning), which is why the total cost of an Airbnb booking should be reviewed against the expenses caps, and not just the nightly rate.
Return to Bookings, transport and visas.