The Travel Team
Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings for you.
Choose reputable airlines and check for information on the FCO website on air travel under the heading of the country you intend to visit.
Some carriers have been prohibited by the Civil Aviation Authority and the European equivalent from operating in UK and European air space, due to safety concerns. You should consider this when planning onward flight connections. You should also consider flight routes and where the carrier overflies. For example, you would want to avoid flying over war zones where the combatants are known to have access to sophisticated modern anti-aircraft ground to air missile batteries.
Please follow the conditions outlined in the Expenses Policy under Air travel.
Egencia is the College’s preferred travel agent. Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings and registration for you. Use the Egencia Online Booking Tool (link opens in a new window. Please use these supported browsers). Ensure Purchasing have set you up with a traveller profile to enable you to book using the tool. See Traveller profile registration.
Flights - Egencia
Booking a flight
Check with your local administration support as they may handle bookings and registration for you.
1. Ensure that you have a travel profile set up to use Egencia. See Traveller profile registration.
2. Ensure that you have a valid purchase order raised for the booking. Alternatively you can use an individual credit card and claim the costs back through the expenses process. If you have permission to raise purchase orders, use the Egencia link on the iProcurement front page. Ensure the correct type is selected and include any booking fees in your requisition as detailed on the form descriptions.
If paying by purchase order, you can place a scheduled flight on hold, obtain the purchase order and confirm the booking at a later stage. However, note that:
- bookings must be confirmed by the ticketing date provided by the airline
- fares are subject to change until the ticket has been issued
3. Log in to the Egencia Online Booking Tool (opens in a new window) using the username and password supplied by Purchasing as part of your traveller profile setup.
4. From the Book tab, select from ‘Flights & Eurostar’.
From the search page, enter:
- the main traveller
- the number of travellers
- the trip type (i.e. return trip, one way or multi-destination).
- the itinerary. Departing and returning airport can be selected by entering the first 3 letters of the destination
You may also use the optional criteria to narrow your search.
5. Flight Selection
All available flights matching your request are displayed. The matrix of results give an overview of the lowest fares available by airline and number of stops. Once you have chosen a flight time and fare, click select.
Return flights will then be displayed. All flights are displayed according to your outbound flight. You can select your inbound flight on this page and also change your outbound flight.
You can view lowest fares available by level of constraint and cabin class. Fare constraints and penalties are highlighted.
6. For check-out and reservations, follow the steps in each screen until the booking confirmation message is displayed.
You can choose to pay by purchase order or by personal credit card
If paying by purchase order, you can place a scheduled flight on hold, obtain the purchaser order and confirm the booking at a later stage. Note that bookings must be confirmed by the ticketing date provided by the airline and fares are subject to change unless the ticket has been issued.
Low cost airlines
Low cost airlines can be used and should be booked via Egencia. These flights cannot normally be reserved whilst a purchase order is prepared without the cost increasing, so you may use a personal credit card and claim back through the expenses process (If you find that the flight is over £20 cheaper – including the £5 booking fee – to book direct through the carrier website, you can do so – but be aware this is not then covered by the Egencia Duty of Care).
Changes and amendments
- Prior to ticketing, changes can be made online within the terms of the carriers' policies.
- Changes made after ticketing are subject to carrier charges and policies. Changes must be made by contacting Egencia's offline customer service.
Low cost airlines
- Changes can sometimes be made by contacting Egencia's offline customer service. They are subject to carrier charges and policies.
Return to Bookings, transport and visas.