Designing and supporting online assessment
- Friday 04 September 09.30-11.00
- Thursday 17 September 12.30-14.00
- Thursday 08 October 09.30-11.00
- Tuesday 27 October 12.30-14.00
- Wednesday 03 February 09.30-11.00
- Thursday 25 February 09.30-11.00
- Friday 26 March 14.00-15.30
Workshops will be delivered online via Microsoft Teams
- Tiffany Chiu
- Kate Ippolito
- Monika Pazio
This workshop will provide participants with the opportunity to identify challenges and opportunities for learners and teachers moving to online assessment, be it formative or summative. We will explore alternatives to face-to-face assessments through some case studies from Imperial College teaching staff and beyond. There will be an emphasis on reviewing current assessment practice and developing strategies and techniques that are appropriate and feasible for online delivery within your own context. We will also discuss tips for additional formative assessment and feedback that supports and motivates learners and builds a sense of learning community.
The live, synchronous element of the workshop will be delivered via MS Teams. Participants should undertake some asynchronous pre-session preparatory work (approx. 1 hour) to prepare them for discussing with colleagues their ideas for assessing and giving feedback online. Post-session work (approx 1 hour) will allow participants to consolidate learning from the workshop and get additional feedback from a workshop facilitator.
Key workshop areas
- Identifying changes and challenges for learners and teachers moving to online assessment
- Reviewing appropriateness of current assessment strategies for online environments
- Building up a repertoire of assessment and feedback techniques to support online learning communities
Imperial STAR framework
This workshop is suitable for those seeking recognition at D1 or D2 level of the Imperial STAR Framework. It addresses the following dimensions of the UK Professional Standards Framework (UKPSF) (at Higher Education Academy): A1, A3, A4, K1, K2, K4, K5, K6, V1, V2, V3.