Registering with a doctor

When you come to the UK you will need to register with a doctor in the area where you live, in order to access National Health Services (NHS).

Any member of staff (and their families) living within the Imperial College Health Centre’s postcode areas, which are listed below, can be registered under the National Health Service (NHS) at Imperial College Health Centre, South Kensington Campus.

Post Codes covered:

N1,5,6 & 7
NW1,3,5,& 8
WC1& 2
SW 1,3,5,6,7 & 10

Children under 13 can only register if they live in SW7. Other family members will be treated as an emergency under the terms of the National Health Service (if appropriate) or privately.

When you have registered you will receive a personal NHS number on a card. You need to keep this number safe. You will need it when you visit the doctor or dentist.

All overseas members of staff and their families are strongly encouraged to have Health Insurance, particularly if their country has no reciprocal health care arrangements with the United Kingdom. This is in case specialist hospital treatment is required for which they may not be eligible under the terms of the NHS.

Further information is available on both NHS and private healthcare in the UK.

Registering with a dentist

You can register with a dentist in the same way as you register with a doctor. You firstly need to find a dentist in your area. You then need to ring them and check that they offer NHS treatment and ask them to put your name on the list.

You can also contact NHS Direct on 0845 46 47 to ask them which dentists in your area are accepting NHS patients.

A dental surgery is also available on the College’s South Kensington campus. You will need to tell the dentist your NHS number if you have one.

Imperial College Occupational Health Service

The College has an Occupational Health Service, which provides a range of work related health services, including health and safety at work, fitness assessments, counselling and advice.