Viewing pages before they go live
There are two ways of viewing sections (pages) before they're live.
Preview mode in t4
To see changes you've made to your page(s) as you work in t4, use the 'Preview Section' option.
- Go to the site structure;
- hover over the page you want to open;
- hover over the yellow drop down button; and,
- select 'Preview Section'. (see graphic below)
- Clicking 'Preview section' will open a pop up. The first time you use Preview you'll need to allow t4 Site Manager to open pop ups in your browser.
- 'Preview' mode does not show dynamic features, i.e. features that update when live, such as twitter, events feeds, news feeds etc. If you want to see these, you need to publish your page and look on the 'staging' URL (see below). This also applies to the Banner - bottom block content type in the Landing - sidebar page layout.
- 'Preview' mode will show all content on a page. This includes pending and draft content.
View your page(s) on the staging site
The staging server allows you to see your page(s) as it will look on the live site, before it appears on the live site. Dynamic features that do not show in preview mode are visible on the staging server. The page URLs will also be as they will finally appear on the live site.
Why should you use preview at all when you can just use staging?
In order to view your pages on staging, you need to publish them first, so they will be transfered to the live site on the hour. If your pages aren't ready to be made live then you should view them only in t4 Preview mode.
However, to view the complete page with all features intact, such as dynamic content, it is worth publishing your page and then viewing it on staging.
How do I view my pages on the staging server?
- This process will make your page(s) live on the hour
- Go to the site structure
- Hover over the page you want to view
- Hover over the yellow drop down button for that page
- Click 'Publish section' or 'Publish branch', depending on whether you want to publish the single page and all its sub-pages too
- Open a new tab in your browser;
- Type in the following URL: www-staging.imperial.ac.uk/yourURL - contact your faculty web officer if you're not sure what yourURL is. You will see your pages on the staging URL immediately.
- Click go.