If you have concerns about the wellbeing or safety of a friend, there are a number of options, depending on the circumstances.

Help in an emergency

If you have concerns that the person is in immediate danger of hurting themselves or others, dial 999 or take them to the nearest Accident and Emergency department.

If you are on campus, the emergency services need to be contacted through Security, who will guide them to the right location.

  • +44 (0)20 7589 1000 (x4444) for Campus Security
  • +44 (0)20 759 42444 (x4244) for Campus Security Silwood Park only
  • +44 (0)208 869 3999 (x3999) for Security Northwick Park only

Non-emergency referrals

If you are concerned about the safety or wellbeing of a friend, there are a number of ways you can tell us:

  • Report your concerns to the relevant departmental Senior Tutor

Note that these referral routes shouldn’t be used in an emergency as they are only monitored during office hours Monday-Friday and are not monitored overnight, at the weekend or on College closure days. Where possible, be sure to include the full name and department of the student in addition to any other relevant information.

What happens next?

When you report a concern to us, we will do one or more of the following:

  • Contact the student and offer the appropriate support
  • Contact the person who made the report and offer advice on how they can support the student
  • Liaise with specialist services at the College who may already be supporting the student
  • Liaise with appropriate staff members in the student’s department
  • Support the student to access appropriate external services such as a GP, local crisis services or psychological and psychiatric services
  • Where a student appears to be missing, work with Imperial Security and the Police to try to ensure the student is safe

What can we tell you?

If you report a student concern to us, we will ensure that all appropriate steps are taken to support the person you are worried about. We can also give you advice about what you can do to support them.  However, in line with current data protection legislation we will not be able to share any further information with you about the person, even if you are their parent or carer, unless they give us written permission to do so.