Task and Finish Group - The Student Supervisor Partnership
Terms of Reference and Membership of the Task and Finish Group for the Student-Supervisor Partnership
One of the strategic aims set out in the College’s Education and Student Strategy document,published in autumn 2013 and now incorporated within the Strategy 2015-20, is for the College to achieve international recognition for a distinctive education. This led to the Doctoral Proposition, a document developed and refined through extensive consultation, which outlines what postgraduate research students can expect of their education and wider student experience at Imperial College London.
The Doctoral Proposition vows amongst other things that Imperial will provide a world-class research programme throughout which internationally-acclaimed academics support, inspire and challenge students as they develop into independent researchers. The Working Party for World-Class Research Supervision, which reported to the Vice Provost’s Advisory Group for Education (VPAGE) and the Vice Provost’s Advisory Group for Research (VPAGR) was established by the Graduate School to develop this part of the proposition.
During 2014-15, the Graduate School carried out a number of activities as part of this project. There was wide consultation with staff and students about what constitutes world-class research supervision which resulted in 40 recommendations to College.
This final report was presented to the Postgraduate Research Quality Committee meeting (PRQC) on 4 November 2015 (minute number 8.1.4) and subsequently Senate on 9 December 2015 where it was reported that the PRQC had approved the recommendations (Senate minute 2048 (8)). This task and finish Group has been established to take forward the recommendations which relate to the student-supervisor partnership.
2. Terms of Reference
- To review and strengthen the role of Head of Department, Director of Postgraduate Studies and Postgraduate Tutor with respect to supporting the student-supervisor partnership.
- To review EDU support for the student-supervisor partnership.
- To review the supervisor student expectations document to promote mutual respect and successful collaboration.
- To share broadly examples of excellent student-supervisor partnerships.
- To recognise and celebrate the diversity of outstanding student-supervisor partnerships.
- To promote the College’s zero tolerance policy towards bullying and harassment.
- To report to the Graduate School’s Course Quality and Stategic Development (CQSD) Committee which will serve as a Steering Group for the World Class Research Supervision Project.
- To complete its work and activities by July 2017.
The group has now completed its work. Please view or download the final report of the Task and Finish Group for the Student Supervisor Partnership,