Student in halls

Are you looking to stay in halls after your first year? There are options for you.

The majority of our halls of residence are only available for undergraduate students in their first year. However, there are a few options if you are a continuing undergraduate student and wish to remain in College halls.

Options for next year

Hall Seniors

Hall Seniors are a small number of students offered an additional year in halls, in return for supporting the running of the hall. Hall Seniors are also generally offered a discount of £5 per week on their accommodation rent. Individual areas of responsibility vary, but generally include: 

  • Supporting the organisation and running of events
  • Activities to prepare the hall for the new academic year
  • Wellbeing and pastoral support 
  • Finance and budget management
 Learn more about our halls:

If open, all applications can be made using the eHalls system.

Medical/Welfare students

If you are an undergraduate student who can show a disability-related reason for needing to stay in halls of residence after your first year of study, you will have the opportunity to apply to stay in halls for the next academic year.

There are a limited number of rooms available each year; you will need to apply for a place. Decisions are made by a panel in the spring/summer term and are based on the priority of need.

Application for Medical and Wellbeing Continuing Accommodation After the First Year

Application information

In the first instance, your application will need to be supported by either one of the Health Centre Doctors, DAS Disability Advisor or Faculty Senior Tutors. (DAS Advisors are only able to support applications from students with mobility or sensory impairments or those who are on the autistic spectrum and are currently supported by the service. All other students will need to obtain support from one of the Health Centre Doctors or Faculty Senior Tutors.)

It is important that you discuss prior to making your application why you need to live in College accommodation with either a Doctor , Disability Advisor or Faculty Senior Tutors as you will need their support in order to be considered for a room in halls.

You must supply relevant and up-to-date evidence to support your application which you can upload during the application, or send via email to

Private accommodation

Whilst we can offer halls accommodation for first year undergraduates and some postgraduates, the majority of students will need to arrange private accommodation for their time at Imperial College London. The Student Accommodation Office offers a range of guidance and support to help you find a place in the private sector.