Moving out checklist
Make sure you follow all these steps. If you miss anything out you may end up losing some of your deposit.
Step 1. Check your tenancy agreement
- Does your contract have a moving out procedure? Check it and follow the requirements, especially the notice period.
Step 2. Check your inventory
- Make note of any damage or changes to the property to ensure you aren’t charged for damage you didn’t cause.
Step 3. Let your landlord or agency know when you are moving out
- Contact your landlord/agent to let them know your moving out date. Arrange for them to do a final check before you move out to make sure everything is in order.
Step 4. Take photos of the property
- Take photos of your property to show the condition you are leaving it in (provide date-stamps if necessary).
Step 5. Check your meters
- Take final meter readings as you move out
Step 6. Pay your final bills and cancel any contracts
- Ensure all your bills are paid up until the date you are leaving and inform the companies that you are moving out.
Step 7. Cleaning
- Deep clean your property before you move out – it needs to be in the same condition as it was when you moved it.
Step 8. Rubbish
- It’s your responsibility to dispose of your rubbish or you can be charged.
Step 9. Deposit
- Your landlord or agency is responsible for returning your deposit. If there are no issues it should be returned to you within 10 days of the end of your tenancy.