Erasmus grants for 2021-22 study period
The Erasmus Student Charter contains the principles governing an Erasmus mobility period.
General information about undertaking placements is available via our Placements webpage, including the Placements Abroad Handbook.
Are you planning to undertake a study period such as an undergraduate year abroad in Europe as part of your course?
If so, Erasmus is the European Commission’s mobility programme for higher education students. An Erasmus grant provides financial support to assist with additional expenses such as ordinarily, non-living expenses like travel costs.
The Erasmus grant amount may vary from each academic year so please check the relevant amounts below for the country that will be hosting you.
|€370 each month*||Austria, Belgium, Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus, Czech Rep, Estonia, France, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Italy, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Netherlands, North Macedonia, Poland, Romania, Serbia, Slovenia, Spain, Turkey|
|€420 each month*||Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Ireland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Norway, Sweden|
|* on a pro-rata basis|
Studentship grant info
Your Mobility must last a minimum of 3 months and a maximum of 12 months.
It must form part of your degree.
If you have a household income of £25,000 or less you can apply for an additional 120 euros per month.
If you have not been means tested by SLC, please complete this form to apply for this means-tested assessment.
Participating countries are:
- The EU
- the wider EEA
- Turkey and
- the FYR Macedonia
However, Switzerland is not included.
The grant is no longer available for a study year in the student’s country of nationality or their home country of domicile.
Previous Erasmus participation
If you have previously been in receipt of an Erasmus grant you must disclose this when you apply.
The mobility programme is there to help students who have not had this opportunity before and so priority will be given to those students, however you are still encouraged to apply.
Undergraduate year abroad students should apply one month before they leave the UK.
Decisions will be made within three working weeks of your application.
How to apply
Applications are considered on a first come first served basis, subject to eligibility and made to Student Financial Support. Please use the application link in the left hand side navigation bar to submit an application and upload the required documents.
Successful applicants - What is required
While the Student Financial Support Team will detail the process (including provision of a contract) it is useful to note here that there are some key responsibilities placed on a recipient of such a grant. These include, but are not limited to:
- Submitting a signed grant contract before your mobility period commences via the Erasmus+ upload Grant Contract, Annex 4, 5 and 6 button in the left hand side navigation bar
- Ensuring that you comply with the relevant learning agreement for your mobility period. Template learning agreements are available here (click on placement learning, and scroll down)
- If you are not a native speaker of the language or languages you are to study in (except in the case of English) then a contractual requirement of you receiving the grant is to undertake an on-line Erasmus language assessment before the study period and at the end of your study period, unless the language is not participating in the scheme. Assessment scores are communicated to your department at Imperial, and would not ordinarily impede your participation in the mobility activity nor your receipt of the grant
- Submitting a completed certificate of arrival (known as Annex 4) within 7 days of your arrival (completed by your host organisation), without which we cannot calculate your grant. This can also take into account any language courses you have undertaken in the host country prior to your mobility period (conditions apply)
- Submitting a completed certificate of attendance towards the end of your stay (known as Annex 5)
- Lastly complete and submit an on-line survey upon your departure from your host country
Payments are made twice a year throughout the Erasmus placement.
|Payment||How much will I receive?|
|1||Approximately 70% of your total grant amount|
|2||Approximately 30% of your total grant amount|
Grants are calculated and primarily paid in Euros, but can be paid into UK bank accounts using the applicable College monthly corporate exchange rate.
Brexit and Erasmus
Further information is available via our Brexit update page and the Erasmus+ webpage
If you have any queries regarding placement funding please contact Student Financial Support.
Student Finance England may be contacted from overseas on 0044 141 243 3660 for issues relating to student loan payments.