Here are some essential things to consider before beginning your research degree at Imperial College London.
Know your department
- Which department are you in? Imperial College London has four Faculties:
- Faculty of Engineering
- Faculty of Medicine
- Faculty of Natural Sciences
- Imperial Business School
Each Faculty has several Schools, Institutes or Departments (SID). It is important to know within which SID you are.
- Where is your SID located?
- Who is your Head of Department?
- Who is your Director of Postgraduate Studies?
- Who is your Postgraduate Administrator?
- Where are your Department web pages for research students?
Know your degree
- Which degree are you studying?
- How long is your degree expected to take?
- Are you fully registered?
- Who are your supervisors?
- Who is responsible for your day-to-day supervision?
- What’s the broad topic of your research project?
- Where’s your desk?
- Where’s your lab?
- What are your requirements and milestones?
Research Welcome and Inductions
- When are the College Welcomes and Induction events?
- When are your Department Welcome events?
- When is your Research Induction?
Understand your finances
- Are you employed or on a tax-free bursary? Ensure you complete the necessary paperwork in plenty of time to avoid delayed payments.
- Who is responsible for your tuition fees and how much are they?
- How many years do you have funding for?
- Understand the funding for your project
Find out about accommodation
- Do you have accommodation arranged?
- Do you know your way around London?
- Do you have any special circumstances to take into consideration?
- Speak to the accommodation office if you need advice