Who can apply for summer accommodation in halls and how?  

Applying for accommodation

Who is eligible to apply?

Please note that to be eligible for a place in the Summer Halls you must be enrolled as an Imperial student over the summer and for the duration of your stay.

*We welcome applications from Imperial College pre-sessional English and UROP students.

How do I apply for summer accommodation?

You can apply online by completing a summer in halls application form.

Can I stay in summer accommodation for one day only?

Yes you can, however you will be charged the short stay price band which is the most expensively priced option. All bokings are subject to availability. 

Paying for my accommodation

Frequently Asked Questions

Can I pay for the accommodation by instalments?

If you have booked in advance from April you can pay as and when you wish, however we do require full payment to be made by Friday 29 June 2018.

Any subsequent bookings after this date must be paid in full before the accommodation is occupied.

What if I change my mind once I have made a payment?

You may be entitled to a refund depending on when you notify us. If you wish to cancel your accommodation booking with no charge, you must put this in writing to the Student Hub within 7 days of accepting an accommodation offer. 

The table below shows a full list of cancellation notice periods and their associated charges. 

Notice of cancellationCharge
Within 7 days of accepting an offer No charge
14 days or more prior to arrival £150 
Between 14 days and 1 day prior to arrival £250 
Day of arrival and after booking start date  Full cost  

Should you fail to provide the notice stated in our terms and conditions, you will be liable to pay one of the above cancellation charges of £150, £250 or the total amount of the booking. If you fail to cancel your booking prior to arrival, you will be liable to pay for the full stay and you will not be entitled to receive any refunds. 

Contact the Student Hub if you have any further queries about cancellations. 

If I have paid for a set period but decide to leave early, can I get some money back?

No, you will not receive a refund if you depart early. 

If I book accommodation after 30 June 2018, would I still be expected to pay in full?

Yes all payments for summer accommodation must be paid in full on receipt of an invoice. 

What rate would I be expected to pay if I booked for 5 weeks and then decide to stay on for another week for example?

All bookings are treated separately. Should you wish to book for another week, the short stay rate will apply. 

How do I pay?

All payments for accommodation fees must be made by one of the following methods:

  • Online payments via Imperial's Payments website Payments should be made under Student Accommodation and Tuition Fees.
  • Payments can also be made in person by card or cheque at the Student Hub, Level 3 Sherfield Building, South Kensington Campus.
  • Cheque or bank draft drawn on a British bank in sterling, all charges borne by the sender. Cheques should be made payable to ‘Imperial College'.
  • Bank transfer - please note that it is your responsibility to ensure that you notify the College of the purpose of the payment, giving full details of your name and CID number, as follows :
  1. Bank: National Westminster Bank plc
  2. Address: 18 Cromwell Place, London SW7 2LB
  3. Sort code: 51-50-01
  4. Account: 00600032
  5. Iban: GB67NWBK51500100600032
  6. Name: Imperial College London
  7. Swift code: NWBKGB2L
  8. Reference: Your name and CID number - this is very important

Please be aware that additional charges may be applied by the receiving bank and these must be borne by the sender.

General questions

General questions

Can you guarantee that I will get my room of choice?

Regrettably, we cannot guarantee this. The earlier you book the better the chance you have of getting something that you prefer. We do ask that you put in your priority choices on the application form. Whilst we'll do our best for you we cannot give any guarantees. Usually, room changes will only be made on medical grounds. 

What time is check-in/out?

Check-in time is 14.00
Check-out by 10:00

Check in time on Saturday 30 June 2018 will be 16:00


Reception at Woodward is open from 07.00 to 19.00 on weekdays when the Hall Supervisors will be on site to assist. Outside of these hours, our Concierge Security team will be present at the reception to allow room access. 

Further arrival information: 


Arrival information for Woodward Buildings (PDF)

Where can we go if we are asked to leave our current halls of residence at 10.00 but cannot move into summer vacation halls before 16.00?

Students who have booked summer accommodation will be contacted prior to 30 June 2018 with check-in information and arrangements.

Will I have access to a safe?

Unfortunately safes are not provided in all our halls. 

How secure are the rooms?

All our halls have 24-hour CCTV recording and swipe card entry systems. The College also has 24-hour manned security offices situated around halls of residence in addition to mobile security patrols. You are advised to ensure that you lock your door when you leave your room.

What is provided in my room?

All study bedrooms are equipped with a bed, chair, wardrobe, chest of drawers, notice board, book shelf, desk, desk lamp and curtains. Communal kitchens and bathroom / shower rooms are located near study bedrooms. All halls are equipped with coin-operated laundry rooms. You will need to bring your own pillows, duvet, bed linen, cutlery, crockery, pots, pans and cooking utensils. Please remember that storage space is limited.

Will I have internet access in my room?

Yes, if you are allocated to Woodward, but you may have to re-register your account.

You can find further information on this on the ICT website. If you are allocated to a room at Xenia, internet access (8mb) is provided by ASK4 – you will need to register upon arrival (hall staff will give you instructions)

Can I smoke in my room?

No, all our halls are non-smoking. 

Do you have any single sex halls of residence?

No, all the halls are mixed gender. However, if you have specific requirements please indicate this on your application form and we will try to accommodate your request. 

Can I see the licence agreement?