Security, Health and Safety
Your College ID card
To ensure you are able to receive your ID card when you arrive in halls, please upload your photo on the 'Personal Details' tile on MyImperial when registering for your course online.
You may be asked by your Wardening team to upload your photo to your hall-specific "eHalls" site - please note that this is not your official ID Card submission and you will still need to register your photo on My Imperial.
If you have uploaded your photo, you will be issued with your College ID card on arrival.
If you have any issues uploading your photo please contact:
Whilst on College premises, you must take reasonable care for your own and others' safety by adopting safe working practices and making appropriate use of the safety facilities provided. You are required to comply, at all times, with local Hall rules, College health and safety policies and codes of practice.
The College advises that you never leave large amounts of money in your room. Instead this should be banked as quickly as possible. All students are advised that any valuable items are locked away.
Imperial takes the safety and security of its students, staff and buildings very seriously. We believe all of us have a part to play to ensure that best practice is followed at all times. Please help us to help you by remembering the following:
- Carry your College ID card at all times
- We strongly recommend that you download the College's SafeZone app, which is available on Apple and Play stores.
- Report lost cards to Security immediately on +44(0)20 7589 1000 or extension 4444
- Report lost keys to the Campus Services Coordinator
- If you are uncertain about, or worried by something you see, do not hesitate to contact Security through the SafeZone app
- Lock your study-bedroom door, even if you are only going to the kitchen or bathroom
- Check doors and windows are locked at night or when going out (don’t assume someone else will do it)
- Check when entering your hall that nobody is tailgating behind you
- For your own safety and security window restrictors are fitted to all windows
- If you are bringing a bicycle we recommend that you secure your bicycle with a D-lock. These can be purchased for a discounted rate from Imperial College Security
We also work closely with police liaison officers to deliver safety briefings throughout the year and personal safety campaigns with Imperial College Union.
In the UK, the emergency assistance number is 999.
Fire safety in student accommodation
All of our student accommodation has robust fire safety measures in place, including automatic fire detection, alarms, regular audits and teams of highly trained staff ready to respond 24/7. Watch the fire safety video appropriate for your halls from the options below.
Fire safety videos
Fire safety in North Acton Halls (Woodward Building and Kemp Porter).
Fire Safety video
Our newer halls of residence in North Acton have different fire procedures to our other halls.
Watch this video to find out what you need to do in the event of a fire, evacuation procedures and how to prevent fire in the first place.
Fire safety in Imperial halls of residence - excluding North Acton
This video shows what you should do in the event of a fire in one of our halls - with the exception of Woodward Buildings and Kemp Porter. Residents of these halls should watch the video in the drop-down above.