Students living in halls of residence

Full-time students living in halls of residence are automatically exempt from paying council tax.

Full-time students living in shared accommodation with other full-time students

Full-time students living in private accommodation occupied solely by full-time students are exempt from paying council tax. All students living in the house must individually submit a Council Tax Exemption Letter to your local council to prove your student status.

At the Student Hub we provide Council Tax Exemption Letters for full-time students.  You can come to the Student Hub to collect one or email us at and ask us to send one to you. Please note that the Exemption Letter will not have your address on it, so you will need to confirm this with your local council at the same time as sending them the Exemption Letter.

Full-time students living with non-students

Full-time students living with only one adult who is not a full-time student (e.g. a student or students living at home with parents or a student living with a non-student spouse) can apply for 25 per cent reduction of their council tax on submission of a Council Tax Exemption Letter.

Full-time students who live with two or more non-student adults (e.g. at home with both parents) are not entitled to a council tax exemption.

Part-time students

Part-time students are not entitled to any exemption from or reduction of council tax, although they can apply directly to their local authority for a rebate if they are on a low income.

Overseas students

Special regulations affect overseas students who bring with them a non-British husband / wife / child. Check with the Imperial College Union Advice Centre for advice.