The first few days
How to rent booklet
The government have produced a guide for tenants and landlords to help establish each’s rights and responsibilities.
Before you can relax into your new home, take some time to check everything is in order once you move in. Thoroughly checking over all the documents, inventory and safety requirements now will help you in the long term.
Your moving in to-do list
- Make sure you have all your essential documents
- Check inventory
- Sort out bills (Internet, TV Licence, Gas, Electricity, Water)
- Submit council tax exemption
- Get insurance
If you have an Assured Shorthold Tenancy check that you have been provided with the following documents:
- A copy of the signed tenancy agreement (if there are parts crossed and amended after you’ve signed it, this is not a valid contract)
- Check-in inventory
- Gas safety certificate
- Energy Performance Certificate (landlords are required to achieve a minimum of an E grade)
- Prescribed deposit protection information