You may be required to extend your Student Visa if your current visa does not cover the length of your course or if you will be progressing onto a new course of study. There are specific immigration rules that determine if you may make this visa application within the UK or if you have to return to your home country to make the visa application.

Please refer to our Changes to course of study page for further information. If this does not answer your query speak to an adviser in the International Student Support team to discuss your particular circumstances.

Once you have submitted a visa application we strongly advise you not to make any travel plans until you have received your new visa and supporting documents from the Home Office. It is extremely difficult for us to request a return of your documents/passport or to speed up the processing of your application once the application has been submitted.

Please refer to our Covid-19 page for frequently asked questions about applying for your visa to continue your studies at Imperial.

Showcase area

How will the Coronavirus affect my visa application?

Applicants can apply online as usual and select a biometric submission appointment to attend if you are able to so in line with public health guidance. The UKVI will process applications as quickly as possible but there are likely to be delays due to Covid-19. The terms of your leave will remain the same until your application is decided.

  • You will not be regarded as an overstayer or be subject to enforcement action if you are unable to attend a biometric appointment due to Covid-19 or if there are delays in processing your application.
  • Please check the UKVCAS website for up-to-date advice on UK Visa and Citizenship Application Centres.

Please continue to check the following for updated advice and guidance:


How do I get a new CAS number?

You will need a brand new CAS (Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies).  More information is available on how to obtain a new CAS number.

What are the financial requirements?

Please refer to our financial requirements page for further information.

What documents will I need for my application?

For further information on the documents that you will need to prepare for your Student Visa application please visit our documents page.

How do I make an application?

  1. Please click here for information on how to apply and for access to the application form if you are making your Student Route application within the UK.
  2. Refer to our applications made inside the UK page for the International Student Support guidance on how to complete the Student Visa online application form.
  3. DO NOT tick the consent box on the 'Declaration' page of the online form as you will not be able to correct any mistakes beyond this stage.
  4. To book an appointment with the International Student Support office to have your application and documents checked please email 

Will I have to attend a biometrics appointment?

Once you have submitted and paid for your visa application you will be directed to register with UKVCAS and create a UKVCAS account. You must complete this step.

Some applicants will be eligible for biometric reuse which means you will not be required to attend an in-person appointment to give biometrics.

An email will be sent out from UKVCAS at the point of registering an account informing you of the next steps. A further e-mail will be sent between 7 and 9 days advising you if you are eligible for biometric reuse.

  • If you are eligible for biometric reuse, UKVCAS will send an email inviting you to use the IDV app. This applies to both individual applicants as well as family groups. You will not be able to download and use the app until you receive this email.
  • If you are NOT eligible to the use the IDV app, UKVCAS will send an email inviting you to book an appointment at a UKVCAS Service Point. You will not be able to book an appointment until you receive this email.

Do I need to apply for ATAS (Academic Technology Approval Scheme)?

More information on the ATAS scheme and applying for ATAS.

What do I do if my visa is linked to another institution?

  • If you want to start a course at Imperial College but still have some time left on a student visa from your previous course at another University/School, you will need to change your tier 4 sponsor [pdf].
  • You will not be permitted to complete registration or to start your studies at the College if you hold a Student Visa  linked to another institution.

How do my dependants extend their visa?

Please refer to our dependants page for information on dependant applications.

How much does the application cost?

  • Please refer to our Visa Application Fees page for links to the GOV.UK website for the latest fee information.
  • When submitting your visa application you can choose either Standard or Premium. The Premium service costs an additional £ 500 on top of the Standard fee. 
  • It is only possible to select Standard or Premium once you have completed and submitted the online visa application form.

What is the Immigration Health Surcharge?

The Immigration Health Surcharge is a fee that is charged at the time when you submit your visa application.

Cost: From 27 October 2020 the health surcharge will be increasing to £ 470 per year for a main applicant and £ 470 per year per dependant for each year of the visa granted. The health surcharge is incorporated into the online visa application form and is paid only once the application has been submitted online. You can check online to calculate the health surcharge you will need to pay.

How the surcharge is calculated: The amount payable will be based on the maximum period of time for which a visa could be granted under the relevant application route (eg 17 months for a one year Masters course). Where the maximum period includes part of a year, a pro-rata payment will be applied. Where this is for six months or less, the amount payable will be half the annual surcharge. Where the period is for more than six months, the full yearly surcharge will be payable.

Healthcare provided to those who pay the surcharge: Health surcharge payers will be able to access the National Health Service in the same way as a permanent UK resident, i.e. they will receive NHS care generally free of charge but may be charged for services a permanent resident would also pay for, such as dental treatment and prescription charges in England

There are a limited number of exemptions to paying the health surcharge. You can read the full list of exemptions and further information about the health surcharge on the Home Office website.