This page contains detailed information on who is eligible to come to the UK as a dependant, how to make a dependant application and the maintenance requirements for Tier 4 dependants.
Who can apply
Who can be a Tier 4 dependant?
The only family members who can make applications as your 'dependants' under the Tier 4 (General) student visa route are:
- Your spouse / civil partner (aged 18 years or older)
- Your unmarried partner (you need to have been living together for at least 2 years)
- Your children (aged 18 years or younger)
Who can bring dependants to the UK?
Your dependants can only apply for a visa to join or remain in the UK with you as a Tier 4 dependant if:
- You are government-sponsored and your course is more than six months long OR
- You are doing a Postgraduate level course of 9 months or longer at a Higher Education Institution OR
- You had Tier 4 (General) student or pre-Tier 4 student leave for your previous course where the course was over six months long AND
- your permission is current or expired no more than three months before this immigration application AND
- your new immigration application is for a course over six months long AND
- your dependants already have Tier 4 dependant or "student" dependant leave AND
- you apply for immigration permission at the same time as your dependant
Who cannot bring dependants to the UK?
- Pre-sessional students holding a conditional offer for their Undergraduate / Masters / PhD course will not be able to bring family members to the UK under Tier 4 for the pre-sessional course.
- Students studying on a part-time course that meets the Tier 4 requirements.
If your dependants wish to come to visit for a period of up to six months only, they may wish to come as a visitor. Please note, however, that it is not possible to switch from a visitor visa into a Points Based System dependant visa or any other visa from within the UK.
How to apply
Outside the UK
If your dependants are currently outside the UK they must all:
- Apply for 'entry clearance' from the British Diplomatic Post in their home country before they travel to the UK.
- Complete the online application form and pay a fee which is the equivalent of £310 in your local currency. See our applications made outside the UK page for the relevant application form and policy guidance.
Dependants will need to provide:
- Proof of relationship (e.g. marriage certificate/birth certificate)
- Copy of main applicant's visa + statement of attendance (this can be requested from the Student Hub)
- Evidence of funds and accommodation
Within the UK
Dependants should apply at the same time as the main Tier 4 applicant. When the main applicant is completing the online application form there is an opportunity to select the number of dependants so the dependant application forms will also be completed online. Please refer to our applications made inside the UK page for the relevant links and policy guidance for dependant applications.
How much money
Maintenance for dependants
A recent change to the Immigration Rules may affect students on a Tier 4 visa who have dependant family with them in the UK.
If you need additional time to complete your studies (for example to complete a PhD), as a Tier 4 applicant you are required to demonstrate you have enough money per month to cover your living costs in the UK until your new course end date. This is £1265 per month (up to a maximum of 9 months).
However, your dependants will need to demonstrate enough money per month to cover their living costs until the end of the visa you will be granted (your new course end date PLUS 4 months). This is £845 per month (up to a maximum of 9 months).
Therefore, if your course has been extended by 4 months, and you are extending your visa on that basis, you will need to demonstrate you have £1265 x 4 = £5060. Any dependants will have to show £845 x 8 (4 months to your new course end date PLUS 4 months in line with the additional time you are granted on top of your course end date) = £6760.
If you are unsure how much money your dependants will need to demonstrate then please do not hesitate to contact us.
Anyone applying with a main applicant for a new course of study will need to show the full 9 months.
|Place of study||Amount per month||Number of months||Total|
|Inner London (all Imperial campuses)||£ 845 per month||9||£7,605|