If you are from an EU national country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Liechtenstein and you are coming to study in the UK or are currently a student in the UK, please read the following information carefully.

As the UK is currently in the transition period following its exit from the European Union, students beginning new courses before the end of this year will need to apply under the EU Settlement Scheme to be granted either ‘Settled’ or ‘Pre-Settled’ status.  You must be resident in the UK before 31st December 2020 in order to be eligible to apply.

Except in a few cases, you need to apply if:

  • You’re an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen
  • You’re not an EU, EEA or Swiss citizen but your family member is.

 You do not need to apply if you have

  • ‘Indefinite leave to enter’ the UK
  • ‘Indefinite leave to remain’ in the UK
  • British citizenship
  • Irish citizenship

The College’s central source for information about Brexit can be found here and is regularly updated with the latest news and information, including full information about applying under the EU Settlement Scheme.

Please note that the visa arrangements for EU nationals from 1 January 2021 are not yet confirmed. However, we do know that if you are not resident in the UK before 31 December 2020, you will fall under UK immigration control and will probably need to apply for a visa to travel to the UK from 1 January 2021. We will be updating our advice for students travelling to the UK after 1 January 2021 as soon as it is available.

The International Student Support team will be running a virtual drop-in session every Tuesday via Microsoft Teams for EU/EEA nationals who have questions about the EU Settlement Scheme or their status in the UK.  To book a session with an adviser please click here.   Alternatively, students can email the International Student Support team.