Arrangements for Police Registration
Important Coronavirus update – January 2021
The Overseas Visitors Records Office (OVRO) is temporarily suspending the processing of Police Registration Certificates due to the national lockdown in England.
If you have an appointment booked OVRO will be contacting you to cancel the appointment. Even you don’t receive an email from them please assume your appointment is cancelled and you should not attend the OVRO office during the lockdown.
No penalty action will be taken for delayed registration/reporting and future visa applications should not be affected by delays caused as a result of this temporary suspension of the OVRO service. OVRO will do everything they can in line with Government guidelines to resume services as soon as possible.
This letter can be used to present to UKVI Border officials when re-entering the UK as well as including in support of visa applications to the UKVI.
Students needing to register for the first time
Certain international students will be required to register with the police in the UK. If you applied for your visa overseas, this requirement will be printed on your 30- or 90-day entry clearance sticker in your passport. The full list of nationalities who are required to register with the police in the UK is given on the UK government website.
If you applied for your visa in the UK, this requirement will be printed on the letter you were given when you received your passport and documents.
Please check carefully whether you need to register with the police, as the consequences of not doing so can be serious.
If you are based in London, registration is completed at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. You need to book an appointment online via the OVRO website. Please read the information on the OVRO website carefully about preparing for your appointment.
You need to take the following documents with you:
- Your passport
- Completed and signed online Police Registration form (must be completed online and printed off - hand written proformas will not be accepted)
- 1 x passport sized photograph (must be pasted onto the form)
- £34.00 Registration Fee
- Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or UKVI decision letter
- If you made your current visa application in the UK: a copy of the email or letter received when your visa was granted (this can be shown in electronic format if easier)
Please ensure you put your full UK address on Police Registration Form including your room number if you are in Halls of Residence.
Keeping your Police Registration Certificate up to date
- Every time you change your address you must update your Police Registration Certificate within 7 days. This can be done at your local police station. You can find your nearest one by visiting www.met.police.uk
- Every time you extend your visa you must re-register at The Overseas Visitor Records Office within 7 working days, taking with you your new BRP, your passport and your decision email from the Home Office along with your old Police Registration Certificate (if you have one).
- If you get a new visa overseas, or a new passport, change your name, nationality or marital status, this must also be reported to The Overseas Visitor Records Office within 7 days, with any relevant evidence (eg marriage certificate).
- Lost Police Registration Certificates should be reported to the nearest Police Station and a replacement can be issued by the OVRO.