Arrangements for Police Registration

Certain international students will be required to register with the police in the UK. If you applied for your visa overseas, this requirement will be printed on your 30- or 90-day entry clearance sticker in your passport. The full list of nationalities who are required to register with the police in the UK is given on the UK government website

If you applied for your visa in the UK, this requirement will be printed on the letter you were given when you received your passport and documents. 

Please check carefully whether you need to register with the police, as the consequences of not doing so can be serious.

If you are based in London, registration is completed at the Overseas Visitors Records Office. You need to book an appointment online via the OVRO website. Please read the information on the OVRO website carefully about preparing for your appointment.

You need to take the following documents with you: 

  • Your passport
  • Completed and signed online Police Registration form (must be completed online and printed off - hand written proformas will not be accepted)
  • 1 x passport sized photograph (must be pasted onto the form)
  • £34.00 Registration Fee
  • Biometric Residence Permit (BRP) or UKVI decision letter
  • If you made your current visa application in the UK: a copy of the email or letter received when your visa was granted (this can be shown in electronic format if easier)

Please ensure you put your full UK address on Police Registration Form including your room number if you are in Halls of Residence.

Due to the current pandemic, OVRO is operating pre-booked appointments only. As long as you have booked an appointment you will not be penalised for not registering within the 7-day timeframe. Due to the high numbers of people needing to register, appointments will be offered into next year. This is not an issue and will not cause you any problems during your time in the UK.