Youth Mobility


The Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) is only open to passport holders of

  • Australia,
  • Canada,
  • Hong Kong SAR,
  • Japan,
  • Monaco,
  • New Zealand,
  • South Korea and
  • Taiwan


  • British Overseas Citizens,
  • British Overseas Territories Citizens and
  • British Nationals Overseas.

Visa holders are permitted to carry out most jobs in the UK for up to 2 years.

Citizens of Hong Kong and the Republic of Korea require sponsorship from their home government and need to be issued with a Certificate of Sponsorship.


In order to apply you must

  • be aged 18-30 on the day of your application,
  • be a passport holder of one of the countries specified,
  • never have previously held a a Working Holidaymaker or Tier 5 (Youth Mobility Scheme) visa and
  • have no dependants

Visa application

  • An applicant may only apply for this visa from outside the UK
  • Show £ 1890 (equivalent in your home currency) in your bank account

Under this visa route you may

  • study
  • be self-employed
  • set up a company (as long as your premises are rented, your equipment isn't worth more than £ 5000 and you don't have any employees)

Once in the UK on a Tier 5 (Youth Mobility) visa it is not possible to extend this visa further nor to switch into any other visa route whilst in the UK.

Important links