We offer three types of Doctoral course at Imperial:

  • PhD
  • Professional Doctorate for people working in professional practice (MD(Res) and EngD)
  • Integrated PhD, available via our Research Council-funded Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) and Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs)

Each course gives you the chance to make an original contribution to your chosen field through an intensive programme of in-depth research.

There are three distinct routes of searching for Doctoral courses at Imperial.

Research programme search

 	Andrew and Fiona in the wet lab area Blagborough laboratory discussing science, pipetting liquid and analysing plates in The Baum Laboratory

You have your own research idea

To search for opportunities to study a PhD based on your own research idea you first need to identify a research group whose objectives best match your idea.

Research groups are based in our academic departments and multidisciplinary centres and institutes.

If you find a suitable group, you should then identify a potential supervisor.

This is an important step as you will need to find out whether they have an appropriate supervisor. You will also need to discuss your research idea before you apply.

When applying, you will need to provide details of your proposed supervisor and a proposal of your intended research.

If the Department indicates that you don’t need to identify a supervisor before applying, you can submit your research proposal as part of your online application.

Serge Mostowy and his animal research with Zebra Fish at South Kensington

You don't have your own research idea

If you don't have a research idea that you're looking to pursue, we recommend searching our current fellowships and studentships.

These are PhD projects in specified areas for which funding has already been granted to Imperial.

You can browse the latest vacancies in our Jobs site.

Professor Peter Haynes is Professor of Theory and Simulation of Materials

You're interested in an integrated PhD

Integrated PhDs are offered within our Centres fo Doctoral Training and Doctoral Training Partnerships.

These can be fully funded or part-funded; they may also consider self-funding applicants who do not meet the funding criteria.

The specific training routes vary and may comprise a one-year Master’s course (MSc or MRes) followed by a three-year PhD (1+3), or may be a four-year PhD programme.

As a CDT or DTP student,  you may also have access to a supervisor and facilities at a partner institution.

Unlike traditional PhDs, our CDTs and DTPs recruit cohorts of students from a broad spectrum of disciplines, with the groups beginning and completing their training together for specific parts of the training.

Explore our current Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) and Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs).

The funding for these opportunities is provided by UK and EU Research Councils so funding eligibility criteria apply and these are closely related, but separate from fee status regulations.