Conicyt is the Chilean government student funding organisation. Imperial has an agreement with Conicyt to offer funding for postgraduate students (both, Master’s and PhDs).
To apply for a Conicyt-Imperial scholarship, you must comply with the BECAS Chile eligibility criteria. At the moment these are:
- Be Chilean or foreigner with permanent residency in Chile
-Hold a Licenciado (the Chilean 6 year degree)
- Academic excellence (better average grade than 5 out of possible 7 in the Chilean system; be among the top 30% of the degree course)
How to apply; Please follow these steps:
- Contact your prospective supervisor or the Imperial department of interest with details of your proposed research project. It is essential that you make contact with departments/supervisors before submitting a PhD application.
- Email email@example.com indicating you are applying for a Conicyt scholarship.
- Submit a PhD application to Imperial, following standard College procedure (information on the English language requirements is available here)
- Imperial’s Registry processes the application and either rejects it or issues a formal conditional/unconditional offer. Please note: It can take 6-8 weeks for PhD applications to be processed.
- Once you have an offer, please apply to Conicyt for the scholarship. The deadline changes each year but is usually in early April.
- You will be informed of the outcome of the selection process in June – August.
What the Scholarship includes
- Full stipend for the duration of your PhD in line with the standard Conicyt rates.
- A one-way economy class air ticket from the airport nearest to the scholar’s place of residence in Chile to London´s airport for the scholar, his/her spouse and children, if applicable. Also, a one-way economy class air ticket back to Chile for the scholar, his/her spouse and children, if applicable.
- A monthly allowance for his/her spouse.
- A monthly allowance for each child under 18 years old.
- A one-time allowance, per scholar, to cover settlement expenses and a one-time relocation allowance.
- A yearly allowance for books and/or materials.
- A yearly allowance to cover health insurance
- Extension of monthly per diem allowance on account of pregnancy and maternity leave, to female scholars only, for up to 4 months.
- Benefits associated to pre-sessional English courses, if required.