China Scholarship Council
Imperial College London and the China Scholarship Council (CSC) have created a scholarship programme to enable talented Chinese students to undertake a PhD programme at Imperial. The scholarships build on Imperial's existing relationship with China. Imperial has extensive research links with Chinese research institutions and Universities. The CSC Imperial Scholarships are supported jointly and equally by both Imperial and the CSC. There are 15 full scholarships per year available for students to start a PhD. Students can apply for a PhD in any subject area offered by Imperial.
- Chinese students with a strong academic background.
- Students must hold a PR Chinese passport (applicants from Hong Kong or Taiwan are not eligible). Applicants can either be resident in China at the time of application or studying overseas.
- Students with prior experience of studying overseas (including in the UK) are eligible to apply. Chinese Imperial graduates/Masters students are therefore eligible for the scheme.
Successful scholarship applicants are required to return to China for a period of two years after completing their PhD.
What the CSC Imperial Scholarship includes
Each scholarship covers:
- International tuition fees
- Maintenance allowance equal to Imperial’s minimum stipend allowance in any given year (£17,609 in 2021-22) per year
- One economy class return journey to China
Scholarships will support either three years of study for a PhD or four years in certain cases where the student is required to undertake a one-year postgraduate degree prior to beginning their PhD.
How to Apply
Prospective scholars must follow all of the following steps in this order:
- Prospective PhD students approach individual Imperial departments and supervisors with details of their proposed project. It is essential that students make contact with departments/supervisors before submitting a PhD application
- Students submit a PhD application to Imperial, following standard College procedure. Please note: If applicants do not already meet the College's English Language requirements we recommend they sit a College approved English test as soon as possible. The deadline for applications to College is 31 January 2022.
- Imperial’s Registry processes the application and either reject it or issues a formal conditional/unconditional offer. Please note: It can take 6-8 weeks for PhD applications to be processed
- Applicants must complete the CSC application on the CSC website between 10 March 2022 - 31 March 2022. Applicants are required to attach the email confirming we have received your application which is sent upon successful completion of an application to study at Imperial College London. This deadline/timeframe is non-negotiable. Instructions to complete this application are available via the CSC website.
- Each Department is required to submit the completed CSC Imperial Scholarship Application Form. The form is available via the Information for staff webpage and should be submitted to Student Financial Support by Noon on Friday 11 February 2022.
In some cases, students may not have received an offer by the College deadline. Therefore, if necessary, applications can be considered by the scholarship panel at the same time as being processed by Departments/Registry. However, applicants must still have approval from their supervisor and head of department.
- The CSC Imperial Scholarship Panel will produce a list of students to be recommended for a CSC Imperial Scholarship. Please note: The CSC will not accept any application that is conditional upon English
- Students will be informed of the progress of their scholarship application and whether they have been selected as a potential scholarship recipient
- Between March and June 2022, CSC will review and approve the scholarships
- After this, students will be informed of the final outcome of their application and issued with a formal CSC Imperial Scholarship letter
- Upon fulfilling any outstanding requirements for admission to a PhD programme (for example, provision of a satisfactory Masters qualification result if necessary, and arranging visas and travel), CSC Imperial scholars will commence their PhD programme in October 2022.
If you have any questions about the scheme, please contact the Student Financial Support team.