Our new Sanctuary Scholarships provide a financial package for students from displaced communities applying for taught Master's study in autumn 2022.
A limited number of Sanctuary Scholarships are available to support students from displaced communities such as asylum seekers and refugees.
What does the scholarship cover?
Each scholarship covers:
- Tuition fees paid in full (Home or Overseas rate)
- Monthly stipend for living costs equating to £16,500 per annum
- £1,500 stipend for the purchase of a laptop or other educational equipment
- Costs pertaining to English language proficiency test exam fee (if English language is required as part of the offer of admission), visa application (if applicable), NHS Surcharge
As part of the package we can arrange private accommodation. The cost for 12 months in 2022-23 is £12,289.55 which includes free brunch at weekends and access to all of their social activities. This cost would be deducted from your monthly stipend. Alternatively, the scholarship recipient(s) are free to arrange their own accommodation.
The award is for one year, excluding repeat periods of study. There are two scholarships available.
Who is eligible?
To be eligible for the Sanctuary Scholarship you must fall into one of the following immigration status groups:
- a refugee – a person who has been granted refugee status either in the UK or in another country
- a person who has been granted humanitarian protection or some other form of protective leave to remain in the UK (including a Ukrainian Family Scheme or Ukrainian Sponsorship Scheme visa)
- an asylum seeker – a person who has made a claim within the UK for refugee status
All eligible applicants must be able to evidence their immigration status. If an applicant has an uncertain immigration status, they should get in touch with Student Financial Support directly to discuss their situation.
Other eligibility criteria also apply – see How to apply below.
How to apply
To apply for a Sanctuary Scholarship, you need to:
1. Search for the course you want to apply for. Applicants can apply to any one year full-time Master’s level programme across the Business School, the Faculty of Natural Sciences, the Faculty of Medicine and the Faculty of Engineering. The scholarship is not available for those pursuing an MBA programme or online degree.
3. Complete our Sanctuary Scholarship application form by the deadline of 23:59 (UK local time), 27 May 2022
4. Receive an offer of admission to study a Master's level degree course for the academic year 2022-23 by 23:59 (UK local time), 17 June 2022
If you have any questions regarding eligibility or this scholarship please contact us at email@example.com
Outcome of scholarship
The successful candidate(s) will be notified by email no later than 31 July 2022. If you have not heard from us by this date please assume you have been unsuccessful in your application.