Research Community Fund
Research Community Fund Application Form and Criteria
The Graduate School’s cohort building programme comprises the delivery of tailored professional skills courses and activities to cohorts of research students as well as the Research Community Fund which can be used by research students to develop research communities by funding special events and activities.
Anyone wishing to submit an application should read the criteria and additional information below carefully. Please note that applications which do not meet the criteria, or are not submitted by the deadlines stipulated, will not be considered.
- The event or activity should be organised by one or more students (students can be assisted by staff/academics);
- The fund is only available to support research students although it is recognised that activities may involve Master’s, Postdocs or other participants as contributors;
- Individual students may submit only one application per academic session;
- The activity must benefit a minimum of 8 research students;
- Applications from students registered within CDTs, should state how the event/activity will be opened to the wider student community;
- Cohort activities must take place between 1st of October and the 30th of June each year (any expenses should be claimed by the middle of July at the very latest). Those which take place outside this timeframe will not be considered.
- The fund is not available to support repeat activities i.e. those which have previously received funding.
- Applicants should ensure that activities and events are as inclusive as possible and do not favour one group of students over another.
- Please note that catering costs should not exceed those stipulated in College guidelines,
- Lunch - £7.50 per head
- Dinner - £15 per head
- Tea/coffee/biscuits - £2.15 per head
- Applications will normally be in the region of £500-1000. Anything higher than £1000 will require match funding from the student’s academic Department.
- All applications will be considered for by the Graduate School's Course Quality & Strategic Development Committee (CQSD)
- Retrospective applications will not be considered.
- Recipients of the fund are required to write a blog post about the activity. All blog posts must be received by the Graduate School no later than early July so that funds can be distributed in the same financial year in which the activity took place. Funds will not be transferred if this deadline is missed or if the blog post is not submitted. Guidance for writing your blog post can be downloaded here - Guidance for Writing a Blog Post.Pdf
- It is usual practice for the Graduate School to reimburse the academic Department of the student organiser for the agreed cost, following the event.
To ensure that applications are considered by the CQSD in plenty of time, forms should be submitted by the following deadlines,
|Application Deadlines||CQSD Dates|
|11 September 2019||25 September 2019|
|October 2019||NO MEETING|
|13 November 2019||27 November 2019|
|December 2019||NO MEETING|
|8 January 2020||22 January 2020|
|12 February 2020||26 February 2020|
|11 March 2020||25 March 2020|
|April 2020||NO MEETING|
|13 May 2020||27 May 2020|
|10 June 2020||24 June 2020|
Apply for funding, submit your post-activity report or view previously funded activities: