Data Science: Basic Statistics
Tutors: Dr John Pinney
Course Level: Level 1
Class Duration: 3 hour session
Format: Microsoft Teams with live teaching and hands-on practice
This foundational course will introduce basic statistical concepts, focusing on methods for visualising and summarising sampled data. It is intended primarily for research students who haven’t used statistics for a long time. The course aims to equip students with the most essential statistical concepts and skills, to give them more confidence in presenting their own data and interpreting the results of others.
On completion of this workshop you will be able to:
- Understand the need for statistics in scientific studies
- Interpret graphical representations of sampled data
- Calculate descriptive statistics for sampled data
- Apply the normal distribution to answer questions about a population
- Identify potential sources of bias in a scientific study
Dates & Booking Information
- There are no more sessions taking place this academic year. The course programme for 2022-23 will be available to book from late September.