Overview - What is the Innovation Placement Scheme?
What is the Innovation Placements programme?
The Innovation Placements programme has been designed to enable EPSRC-funded doctoral students to engage with live company projects. These offer the potential to demonstrate research impact, develop skills, competencies and experience by working collaboratively with businesses to find solutions that address business and societal challenges.
Placement Project Areas
These micro-placements of minimum one and maximum three consecutive months duration, should be explicitly within the scope of the UK’s Industrial Strategy’s 4 Grand Challenges in order to be eligible for funding. The 4 Grand Challenges consist of; i) AI and the data economy; ii) clean growth; iii) the future of mobility and iv) ageing society and the core industrial challenges aligned to these.
For example, the range of activities relevant to the Industrial Strategy could consist of:
- entrepreneurial training/placements
- relevant placements with industry
- relevant placements with policy organisations
- exploratory small projects/placements with SMEs
- summer schools and conference placements relevant to Industrial Strategy challenges
- other placements to support and increase the impact arising from doctoral research