students talking

The Union is here to make sure you get the most out of your Imperial experience.

They will help you enjoy your time outside of studying and provide you with support, advice and representation. 


The Union is staffed with professional advisers who offer free advice on a wide range of issues.

Get advice on academic issues such as:

  • Academic Appeals
  • Academic Complaints
  • Fitness to Practice
  • Course Problems
  • Assistive Educational Technologies
  • Disciplinary Procedures
  • Exam offences and Plagiarism

Or non-academic issues such as:

  • Alternative Funding
  • Debt
  • Housing
  • Legal & Money Claims
  • Money Matters and Budget Boot Camp
  • Wellbeing and mental health  
  • Your Employment Rights
  • Food Vouchers

When your exams arrive, the Union can offer you help with Mitigating Circumstances policies and procedures, appeals and overall coping with work.

The Union is independent from Imperial College London meaning all advice is confidential and impartial.

Explore Imperial College Union advice

Student-run clubs, societies and projects

Our College community is extremely diverse which is celebrated in the Union’s 350+ clubs, societies and projects. These represent a huge range of interests, cultures and religious beliefs.

Through these groups, you can meet like-minded people who share your interests, background and culture.

Lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer and/or questioning students will also receive a warm welcome in the student-run LGBTQ+ society IQ

Seach clubs, societies and projects

Your representatives

Student representatives

The Union has elected student representatives (Reps) for taught postgraduates courses and research areas. These Reps engage with staff at a range of levels, from your course and department to the Faculty and College.

If you have any feedback about your course or academic experience, your Reps are a great first point of contact who can help you to affect real change. You can also nominate yourself as a Rep. If you are elected, you will be given full training and ongoing support.

Your Reps will include:

  • Course Reps
  • Department Reps
  • Research Reps or Masters Reps

Further support from Union and College staff will also be available, with stuff such as Academic Affairs Officers, Disability Officers and others.

Find your representatives

Officer Trustees

The Union is led by Officer Trustees who are elected every year. They take a year out of their studies and work full-time in the Union thier representative roles.

These include:

  • Union president
  • Deputy President (Clubs & Societies)
  • Deputy President (Welfare)
  • Deputy President (Education)
  • Deputy President (Finance & Services)

As well as having a hands-on role in running the Union, they also act as a gateway to existing services. If you're having any problems and want to confide in a fellow student, they're great people to chat to.

Your Officer Trustees