Department of Aeronautics
Total expected intake
139 (2022 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
9 : 1 (based on 2020 entry data)
The Times and Sunday Times Good University Guide 2022
1st in the UK
Why choose Aeronautics at Imperial?
Aeronautics is all about the science of flight and vehicles that fly, from hot air balloons to spacecraft.
From drones that can help monitor the health of forests to advanced computer modelling of fluid flows that could lead to more efficient engines and turbines – the Department of Aeronautics is at the forefront of aeronautical teaching and research.
You will have access to state-of-the-art facilities including:
- A Mach 9 hypersonic gun tunnel
- A large flight-test arena where we develop next generation aerial robots
- A flight simulator where you can test your own aircraft designs.
We also work closely with the aerospace industry, and you’ll have talks and seminars by visiting experts.
Where could your degree take you?
We offer undergraduate degrees that are professionally accredited by the Royal Aeronautical Society (RAeS) and the Institute of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE). This dual accreditation demonstrates the broad base of engineering, computational and analytical skills that they deliver, as well as the specific knowledge and experience required for careers in the aeronautical industry.
Many employers value the critical and analytical skills gained from our Aeronautical Engineering courses which is why the industry areas our graduates go on to work in are incredibly broad. There’s a high demand for our graduates from the aerospace industry, manufacturing, consultancy, research and development, and other fields including teaching and finance.
Recent graduates have become...
- Aerodynamics Engineer, Red Bull Racing
- Future Space Programs Engineer, Airbus
- Actuarial Consultant, EY
- Aerospace Engineer, Rolls Royce
- Technology Risk Analyst, KPMG
Explore our courses
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering (UCAS code H401)
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad (four years)*
- MEng Aeronautics with Spacecraft Engineering*
Five-year course (300 ECTS):
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year in Industry*
- MEng Aeronautical Engineering with a Year Abroad (five years)*
* Apply initially for MEng Aeronautical Engineering (H401)
If you are an international student, transferring to a different course could have an impact on your student visa. Please visit our International Student Support webpage for further information.