Department of Mechanical Engineering
Total expected intake
160 (2017 entry)
Applications : Admissions ratio
11 : 1 (for 2015 entry)
Research Excellence Framework 2014
1st in the UK for research impact that is outstanding in terms of reach and significance
Imperial’s Department of Mechanical Engineering is a large department with a consistent record for excellent teaching and research.
Our academic staff specialise in a range of areas including computational mechanics, sustainable energy technology, food technology, nuclear engineering, nanomaterials and medical engineering.
Whilst traditional undergraduate engineering courses are lecture-based and orientated towards acquiring knowledge, ours emphasise the development of skills needed by the twenty-first century engineer: imagination, creativity, intellectual agility and the ability to work in multidisciplinary teams.
Our intensive engagement with industry ensures that our courses remain relevant to the industry, underpinned by facilities and equipment that match those used in industry. These range from Instron machines for testing the strength of engineering materials, to microcontroller kits for testing the performance of mechatronic systems.
This is complemented by a rapid prototyping, craft and wood-working workshop (the IDEAs Lab) for students to create prototypes using equipment such as 3D printers and a range of machine tools.
Mechanical Engineering courses
Four-year courses (240 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering (UCAS code H301)
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year Abroad (H304)
- MEng Mechanical with Nuclear Engineering*
Five-year courses (300 ECTS):
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry and a Year Abroad*
- MEng Mechanical Engineering with Nuclear Engineering and a Year in Industry*
* Apply initially for MEng Mechanical Engineering (H301)