Tuition fee loan
No fees upfront
If you are a Home student, or an EU student who meets certain criteria, you can apply for a Tuition Fee Loan from the UK government. This will cover the entire cost of tuition for every year of study, which means you do not have to pay any money towards your fees while you are studying.
The loan is not means-tested so, unlike the Maintenance Loan for living costs, it doesn't matter what your household income is.
At Imperial, the undergraduate tuition fee for Home and EU students starting the College in 2017 is £9,250 per year. it has been confirmed that fees are set to remain at £9250 for 2018-19.
It is important to know the tuition fee that you will be charged so that you can apply for the right loan amount from your funding authority e.g. Student Finance England for students living in England.
EU students applying for a place at an English university in the 2017-18 and 2018-19 academic years will continue to be eligible for the tuition fee loan for the duration of their course.
Do I have to pay it back?
Yes, but only once you have left university, are in employment and earning a pre-tax salary of £25,000 a year or more.
Tuition fee loan FAQs
How does it work?
The funding authority for your region (e.g. Student Finance England for students living in England) pays your Tuition Fee Loan directly to the College to cover the cost of your tuition for every year that you apply for the loan.
The money is paid to the College in three installments over the course of each academic year:
- At the start of Term 1: 25% of the tuition fee
- At the start of Term 2: 25% of the tuition fee
- At the start of Term 3: 50% of the tuition fee
How do I apply?
The application process varies depending on whether you are from England, Scotland, Wales, Northern Ireland or another country in the EU.
- Students from England should apply to Student Finance England (Helpline: 0300 100 0607)
- Student from Northern Ireland should apply to: Student Finance NI (Helpline: 0300 100 0077)
- Students from Scotland should apply to: Student Awards Agency for Scotland (Helpline: 0300 555 0505)
- Students from Wales should apply to: Student Finance Wales (Helpline: 0300 200 4050)
You can find out more about each application process, including the process for EU students, on the Government's website.
Do I have to pay it back?
Yes, but only once you have left university, are in employment and earning a pre-tax salary of £25,000 a year or more (confirmed for English students but not Welsh students yet)