Propel has a page of general advice and information for teachers, parents and carers. 

You may also find the information on the Imperial website for parents helpful.


Can visits to accommodation be arranged?

If you come to one of our open days and speak to the Student Hub team, they can help you to arrange visits to different halls of residence. If you cannot attend an open day, you can contact the Student Hub to arrange another visit.

What financial support is available for care leavers?

If a student is under 25 and meets the legal definition of care leaver, they are entitled to a one off bursary from their Local Authority

In addition to this, relevant government funding bodies (e.g. Student Finance England) provide grants and loans to all eligible students in Higher Education. As the amount awarded is calculated based on household income, care leavers and estranged students are usually entitled to the highest available amount. 

Imperial Bursaries are awarded for each year of study and are on a sliding scale based on household income, so students from a care background are usually entitled to the maximum amount of financial support. The award may vary from year to year, so please check for the relevant year of entry. It does not need to be paid back. The award is automatically awarded based on the assessment made by the relevant government funding body.

Care leavers and estranged students who are in a receipt of an Imperial Bursary will be offered the chance to receive their Bursary two months earlier than the usual first payment date in November.

The College also has a Student Support Fund for students who need emergency financial support.

Some care leaver charities also offer financial support to eligible applicants, please see the Useful Links section below for some possible sources of support. 

Who should I contact with queries?

For queries about courses, please visit the course information pages to find departmental contact details.

If you have a query around application support for students from a care background, please contact Rebecca Holloway, School Partnerships Coordinator.

If you have a query about accommodation, please contact the Student Hub.

For financial enquiries, please contact the Finance Team

Useful links

Propel lets you search university profiles to see the support that is offered to care leavers, it also includes advice and guidance around Higher Education.

The Who Cares Trust provides advice and information for care leavers, in addition to a guide to university for 14-21 year olds.

A National Voice (ANV) summarises the support that care leavers are entitled to under the Leaving Care Act.

The Buttle Trust can provide financial support for applications made via a support worker. They also provide a list of other charities that may be able to help.

The Care Leavers’ Foundation is a charity that provides grants to care leavers whose applications meet the criteria.

Government guidance on leaving care outlines what you can expect in terms of support from your local authority.

The Care Leavers’ Association provides advice and information for care leavers, and aims to build a network of care leavers across the country.

The Rees Foundation provides information, resources, networking and financial support to those with residential care experiences.

The National Network for the Education of Care Leavers (NNECL) lists events and opportunities for children in care, care leavers, and those that support them.

StandAlone has a support hub for applicants and current students who have no contact with their families.