To achieve carbon neutrality for Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 2040, minimising Scope 3 emissions where possible, while at the same time ensuring that the College continues to provide world class facilities to support its overall strategy of achieving enduring excellence.
- reduce total Scope 1 and 2 carbon emissions arising from energy consumption by 15% by 2025–26 against the baseline year 2018–19;
- assess the options available to increase on-campus renewable energy generation;
- develop a roadmap towards a carbon neutral south site of our White City Campus;
- continue to procure 100% of our bought-in electricity through a Renewable Energy Guarantees Origin (REGO) backed tariff (this significant step in reducing the College carbon emissions was taken in October 2019);
- undertake work to establish science-based targets to be used across all campuses;
- improve the control of all building infrastructure and energy use and enhance data gathering through our building management systems;
- continue to upgrade and enhance existing building services infrastructure to improve sustainability and
- identify and seek funding for building fabric improvement such as façades, glazing and insulation that are more efficient and will effect the reduction of energy consumption.
Measures of progress
Carbon emissions from energy use:
- Total (tonnes CO2e);
- by staff and students (tonnes CO2e/FTE);
- by total income (tonnes CO2e/£);
- by building area (tonnes CO2e/m2).