To ensure the responsible management of water resources, reducing our consumption and preventing pollution of the natural environment.
- work to reduce total and per person water consumption and continue to use the UK government’s Aquafund framework to carry out detailed audits of our water use;
- install water control devices and more automated meters to better understand trends in water usage and to enable benchmarking, monitoring and target-setting;
- work with laboratory managers to promote the use of the Laboratory Efficiency Assessment Framework (LEAF) to reduce water consumption;
- trial alternative equipment that does not rely on water in laboratories, for example waterless condensers;
- increase the use of recirculating coolant systems in laboratories and enhance building infrastructure to enable water savings to be made;
- install gray water and rainwater harvesting systems where possible.
Measures of progress
- Reduction in total College use of water (m3 per year);
- Reduction in water usage per person (m3 per year).