HotelRez Accessibility statement
This accessibility statement applies to the Imperial College Summer Accommodation online booking engine, operated by HotelRez on behalf of Imperial College London.
Imperial College Website Accessibility Statement can be view here.
Imperial is committed to making our digital presence as accessible as possible and endeavour to make all aspects of this website compliant with the Public Sector Bodies (Websites and Mobile Applications) (No. 2) Accessibility Regulations 2018 (the Accessibility Regulations) and the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.1, AA Standards.
For example, this means that:
- You can increase text size, without loss of content or functionality
- You can listen to most of the website using a screen reader
- We’ve made the website text as simple as possible to understand
How accessible is the online booking engine?
We know that some parts of this website are not fully accessible:
- Screen reader and keyboard users may not be able to navigate some of the menu items
- The website responds in an unpredictable way when navigating the menu
Technical information about accessibility of this website
Imperial College London is committed to making the Imperial Summer Accommodation HotelRez website accessible, in accordance with Accessibility Regulations.
This website is partially compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines version 2.1 AA standard, due to the non-compliances listed below.
The content listed below is non-accessible for the following reasons:
Non-compliance with the Accessibility Regulations
- Navigating the main menu, which appears on every page, cannot bypassed. This means the menu repeated content cannot be skipped by a screen reader. This does not meet WCAG success criterion 2.4.1 (Bypass blocks).
- Some of the HTML code causes validation to crash on some browsers, particularly some assistive software such as screen readers. This does not meet WCAG success criterion 4.1.1
- Menu subheadings are announced as the menu headings when tabbing through the navigation menu in conjunction with JAWS screen reader.
- The order that the text is presented is logical, but the lack of semantic structure makes the meaning unclear. Assistive tools that present the content in audio form simply deliver a constant stream of words.
- Keyboard users can only select the desired hotel. Once a hotel is selected the page reloads, but again the only option available to keyboard users is to select another hotel. At no time is focused moved to where they are allowed to select dates or other options.
Working with the supplier of the Resident Portal (HotelRez) we expect these required updates to be included in future releases. Most points will be completed by October 2020, however some areas require a redesign of content management system which will be under review in March 2021.
If you require the content highlighted above to be provided a different format, please contact the Commercial Marketing Team (email@example.com).
Content that is not within the scope of the Accessibility Regulations
The Imperial Summer Accommodation HotelRez booking website may include from time to time third party content and functionality. This may direct you to a related service, link to another site or supporting documentation. We are not responsible for the accessibility of third-party content or to other sites we link to.
How we tested this website
The Imperial Summer Accommodation HotelRez booking website was last tested in February 2018. The test was carried out by Userite.
Reporting accessibility problems with the Imperial Summer Accommodation HotelRez website
We are always looking to improve the accessibility of the Imperial Summer Accommodation HotelRez booking website. If you find any problems that aren’t listed on this page or thing we’re not meeting accessibility requirements, please contact us by email on firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) is responsible for enforcing the Accessibility Regulations. If you are not happy with how we respond to your complaint, contact the Equality Advisory and Support Service (EASS).
This accessibility statement was prepared on 4 December 2019. It was last updated on 4 December 2019.