Be an Imperial Science Supporter
What the project is
As part of the College commitment to engage and build links with the communities local to the new White City Campus, the Community Engagement team have launched a brand-new Community Science Seed Fund. In response to increasing number of requests from local groups and residents wanting to run science related activities for their communities, the fund offers up to £2,000 of financial support, in addition to in-kind project support for STEM projects led by community groups and local residents near our White City Campus.
The Community Science Seed Fund aims to:
- Assist local groups and residents in sharing the wonder of science and technology with their local communities
- Utilise the benefits of informal science learning, to inspire our neighbours from all backgrounds and ages
- Create opportunities for Imperial academics and local residents to work together
- Help embed Imperial College London as a community asset in the local area
Who we are looking for
We are looking for academics and PGR students from across the College, who will be able to give a couple hours a month to act as a ‘scientific’ point of contact to help support the winning projects.
What the role entails
As a science supporter, your role will be to help guide and support the community project coordinators on the scientific elements of their project, this will involve:
- Meeting with the project coordinator at the beginning, middle and end of their project to offer support, advice and contacts internally
- Volunteering your time to help deliver activity, or promoting the opportunity amongst colleagues and students in your department
- General guidance around impact and sustainability/next steps
Project support will be given to the community project coordinators by the White City Community Engagement Team.