How will the local community benefit from the campus?
The campus will be an integral part of the White City community, making a positive impact in local education, enterprise, employment and healthcare. We’re creating an open and inviting place, which encourages schools, families, community organisations and people of all ages and backgrounds to get involved in science and technology.
What research will take place at the White City Campus?
Research at the campus will support the college’s four strategic priorities: discovery and the natural world; engineering novel solutions; health and wellbeing; and leading the data revolution. Just some of the work carried out there will include the development of new medical technologies to help detect diseases like cancer and research into low emission sources of energy.
When will the new campus open?
On Site: north of the Westway (A40)
- Postgraduate accommodation at GradPad’s Wood Lane Studios opened in September 2012, providing accommodation for over 600 of Imperial’s postgraduate students.
- The Translation & Innovation Hub (I-HUB) opened in 2016 and provides space for companies to work alongside Imperial researchers and turn scientific and technological innovations into new products and services. The I-HUB is home to the Imperial White City Incubator, which offers flexible workspace and support for young businesses. It’s also the location of Central Working White City – a shared workspace collaboration between Central Working and Imperial College London ThinkSpace.
- The Molecular Sciences Research Hub (MSRH) opened in autumn 2018 and provides a new research home for Imperial's Department of Chemistry. It brings together nearly 800 scientists, clinicians, engineers and business partners who are collaborating under one roof in a way that they have never been able to before.
- Construction is underway on the Michael Uren Biomedical Engineering Research Hub (BmE Hub) which will combine the latest medical research and engineering to improve the treatment and diagnosis of diverse medical conditions, from finding ways to cure dementia to creating bionic limbs. It is due to open in 2020.
- Imperial’s School of Public Health is also set to establish a new home at White City. Earlier this year the College launched a fundraising campaign to support the School’s expansion and an academic design team is currently developing the design brief for the new building.
On Site: south of the Westway (A40)
- Our dedicated community engagement hub, The Invention Rooms, opened in October 2017 and represents a new and unprecedented approach to community engagement and outreach. Here you can find cutting-edge workshops, design studios and interactive spaces for collaboration with the local community and our partners.
- Scale Space, a new innovation space bringing together the best research, talent and business-building expertise, is set to open in late 2019. Working alongside Blenheim Chalcot, the UK's leading digital venture builder, businesses will have access to the support they need to turn innovation into growth.
Who will work at the new campus?
Imperial is inviting partners from around the world in business and academia, including fellow institutions, major corporations, start-up companies and venture funders, to join us at the White City Campus and work alongside our world-leading researchers. Partnerships like this help us to translate our ideas and research into practical applications.