Since the summer of 2018 Greening Imperial has achieved the following:
- Removal of single-use plastic glasses from catering outlet water stations – saving up to 850,000 cups/year (from Oct 2018).
- Introduction of ‘bring your own container’ for hot, portioned takeaways from all Campus Services catering outlets (from Nov 2018).
- Introduction of a 15p levy for every hot drink served in disposable coffee cups (from Nov 2018). This charge is being introduced to reduce the 2,750 single-use disposable cups previously used across our campuses each day.
- Replacement of single-use plastic cutlery with FSC-certified reusable wooden cutlery from Dec 2018.
- A trial of Meat Free Monday in January 2019.
- Participation in the NUS Sustainable Development Goals Teach-In in February 2019 (Imperial came 5th in the UK in terms of engagement of the academic community).
- A week of activities for ICUs Greening Imperial week in March 2019.
- Pilot of the Laboratories Environmental Assessment Framework (LEAF) in four laboratories across College - Complex Porus Media Lab, Freemont Lab, Hallett Lab, London Institute of Medical Sciences.
- Introduction of new bicycle parking facilities at the Centre for Environmental Policy in May 2019.
- Monthly visits for students and staff to the Environment Society allotment (last Tuesday of the month – join us by e-mailing us email@example.com).
The following are being discussed as potential future changes:
- Increasing the amount of green space on our campuses.
- Increasing the number of water stations across our campuses.
- Buying electricity from renewable sources.
- Connecting our academic community with the White City development to try and develop the campus into a zero carbon showcase of our engineering expertise.
- Investigating the Imperial carbon footprint from aviation and options for incentivising rail travel and offsetting.