Autism is a lifelong developmental disability or impairment that affects how people perceive the world and interact with others.
Traits commonly associated with autism (please be aware, people with autism may have all or only some of these traits, and may experience some more strongly than others):
- social communication difficulties;
- challenges in forming relationships;
- a strong preference for routine;
- a dislike of sudden or unexpected changes;
- a keen interest in detail;
- requiring instructions and directions to be clear, direct and concise;
- challenges in coping with noisy or crowded environments.