The competition provides a platform for UK students to showcase their idea to improve global health and win money towards developing it further. The finalists will have just two minutes to win over the judges with their lightning pitches, after which they’ll face questions from the panel. Our audience will also have the chance to pose questions to the finalists and vote for their favourite at the end of the event.
Our first-place winner of £10,000 and Audience Choice Winner will be announced on 1 July 2020 on IGHI’s website and social media.
Meet the finalists:
1. Chiara Heide, PhD student, Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London
Brightcure – ‘A revolutionary probiotic treatment to cure recurrent urinary tract infections’
2. Aakeen Parikh, PhD student, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London
E.Wash – ‘A battery powered, affordable washing machine designed for rural communities with no access to the grid’
3. Ana Pengelly – MSc Health Data Analytics and Machine Learning, School of Public Health, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London
Predisure – ‘A novel platform to predict infectious disease outbreaks’
4. Samyakh (Sam) Tukra, PhD student, Department of Surgery and Cancer, Faculty of Medicine, Imperial College London
Third Eye Intelligence – ‘AI-powered risk prediction tool for organ failure in patients in intensive care’
5. Lotto Tsao – BSc Biomedical Sciences, University College London
Ovolution – ‘A female hygiene product (sanitary pad) that is designed to detect early polycystic ovary syndrome’
6. Manfredi San Germano, PhD student, Department of Chemical Engineering, Faculty of Engineering, Imperial College London
Chlamydia rapid at home test – ‘Low-cost, smartphone-enabled technology to quickly diagnose chlamydia’
Meet the judges:
- Dr Richard Smith, IGHI Visiting Professor, former editor of the BMJ, chairman of the board of directors of Patients Know Best
- Dr Ana Luisa Neves, M.D. and Research Fellow at the Institute of Global Health Innovation, co-founder of Momoby
- Dr Na’eem Ahmed, Consultant Radiologist, Founder of Selfless, former Editorial Board member of Clinical Medicine
The event will take place online via Microsoft Teams here.