News and events
- Dr Chunyan Quan successfully passed her viva!
- Dr Constantinos Kyprianou successfully passed his viva!
- Ben was awarded 2nd prize at the Dutch Open Student STEEL Award 2021 organized by Bouwen met Staal in cooperation with TU Delft.
- Luke came 2nd for the best oral presentation at the IStructE 2021 Young Researchers' Conference
News and Events
- Prof Leroy Gardner was elected to Fellow of the Royal Academy of Engineering - https://www.raeng.org.uk/about-us/the-fellowship/new-fellows-2020/fellows/professor-leroy-gardner - https://www.imperial.ac.uk/news/204653/royal-academy-engineering-elects-bumper-crop/
- Fiona was a finalist in the Engineering Sciences category at the online 2020 ABTA Doctoral Research Awards competition on 12th Sept 2020.
- Leroy Gardner, Andreas Fieber and Lorenzo Macorini awarded the Structures Best Research into Practice Paper Prize 2020 for 'Formulae for calculating elastic local buckling stresses of full structural cross-sections - http://ow.ly/J73750B5EtE
- Dr Kaidong Wu successfully passed his viva!
Members of the group attended the Ninth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures in Hong Kong.
Leroy, Craig, Wing and Gordon, together with their project partners at MX3D, Arup and Autodesk, win an award in the Research Development: Creating the Future category at this year's New Civil Engineer Festival of Innovation and Technology - Techfest for their work on the MX3D Bridge - The world's first metal 3D printed bridge. The work at Imperial has been supported by the Lloyd’s Register Foundation, the Alan Turing Institute and EPSRC
Members of the group attended the Eighth International Conference on Thin-Wlled Structures in Lisbon.
Congratulations to Wing for winning the Imperial Graduate School PhD Summer Showcase Poster Competition
Andrew Liew, Leroy Gardner and Philippe Block awarded Structures Best Research Paper Prize 2018
Pinelopi and Craig attended the 2018 ABTA Doctoral Research Awards competition at University College London (UCL) on 12th May 2018 and were both awarded an Honourable Mention Award for their contributions in the field of Engineering
Congratulations to Craig who was jointly awarded the 2018 Unwin Award for Best thesis.
IStructE Young Researchers' Conference 2018:
Leroy, Craig and Wing attended the MX3D Bridge Partner Meeting in Amsterdam. Find out more about the project and our involvement here.
Prof. Leroy Gardner was awarded the prestigious IABSE Prize 2017 ‘in recognition of his outstanding contributions to structural engineering in the areas of structural steel research, code development and teaching’. Leroy was presented the prize at the 39th IABSE Symposium in Vancouver in September 2017.
Members of the Steel Structures group, led by Prof. Leroy Gardner, are currently working with The Alan Turing Institute and the 3D printing company MX3D on the world's first metal 3D printed bridge due to be installed across a canal in Amsterdam next year. The team are working on a 'digital twin' of the bridge using FE modelling, as well as testing samples of the 3D printed steel, to anticipate the behaviour of the bridge under loading from pedestrian or cycling traffic and inform its design. Find out more here and watch some of the work in action here.
The Fifth International Experts Seminar: Stainless Steel in Structures was held at Imperial College in September and a number of the group attended and presented their work.
Members of the group attended the Eighth European Conference on Steel and Composite Structures in Copenhagen.
Professor Leroy Gardner awarded the IABSE prize 2017 by The International Association of Bridge and Structural Engineering - https://www.iabse.org/IABSE/Press_Releases/Prize2017.aspx
Dr Craig Buchanan successfully passed his PhD viva!
IStructE Young Researchers' Conference 2017:
Members of the group attended the Eighth International Conference on Steel and Aluminium Structures in Hong Kong.
Dr Jie Wang successfully passed her PhD viva!
IStructE Young Researchers Conference 2016
Eighth International Conference on Advances in Steel Structures in Lisbon, Portugal - 21-24 July 2015
IStructE Young Researchers Conference 2015
Dr Andrew Foster passed his PhD viva and has joined DNV GL - Oil & Gas
The 14th International Symposium on Tubular Structures was organised by Dr Leroy Gardner at Imperial College London on 12th - 14th September 2012. A number of papers were presented by members of the Steel Structures Group at Imperial. Below, at the conference dinner, left to right, Ahmer Wadee, Leroy Gardner, Murray Ellen, Quique Mirambell, Esther Real.