Funding for our CDTs and DTPs is provided by Research Councils so eligibility criteria apply for the studentships that they offer. This is outlined in the Research Council training grant guide [PDF]. They may also consider self-funding applicants for non-funded projects.
See the eligibility criteria for our four-year Wellcome PhD studentships.
A new model of Doctoral training
Integrated PhDs provide a new model of postgraduate training. They retain the depth, rigour and focus of a conventional PhD while also providing a broader training experience.
While the specific training routes may vary, they typically consist of a one-year Master's course (MSc or MRes) which leads straight into a three-year PhD.
This new style of doctoral training is available within our Research Council-funded Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs) and Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs).
Biomedical research charity, The Wellcome Trust, also funds training programmes at three centres of excellence at Imperial.
Wellcome Trust PhD programme
Each Wellcome centre of excellence offers three to five studentships a year for four-year PhD programmes:
- Epidemiology, Evolution and Control of Infectious Diseases (MRes + PhD)
- Molecular and Cellular Basis of Infection (MRes + PhD)
- Theoretical Systems Biology and Bioinformatics (MSc + PhD)
CDTs and DTPs
Our CDTs and DTPs recruit cohorts of students from a broad spectrum of disciplines, creating vibrant multi-disciplinary communities.
The diversity of students recruited to these centres reflects the breadth of research which they cover.
As well as benefitting from a variety of training opportunities and cohort-building activities, students studying within these centres may also have access to a supervisor and facilities at a partner institution.
Doctoral Training Partnerships (DTPs)
We offer the following DTPs:
- the Science and Solutions for a Changing Planet DTP, funded by the Natural Environment Research Council (NERC)
- PhD Studentships in the Biological Sciences, funded by the Biotechnology and Biological Sciences Research Council (BBSRC)
- Imperial College MRC DTP (Medical Research Council Doctoral Training Partnership) Research Studentships, funded by the Medical Research Council (MRC)
Imperial is also a partner in London Interdisciplinary Social Science Doctoral Training Partnership (LISS), funded by the Economic and Social Research Council (ESRC).
Centres for Doctoral Training (CDTs)
Imperial is host to the following Centres for Doctoral Training. Click on centres that interest you to find out more about their training programme and available studentships.