Step-by-step instructions on how to achieve common tasks.
Here are a series of short guides, PDF documents ready to print:
We've written an ElasticSearch Tutorial showing a way of using our DoC private cloud to create a fleet of Short-lived (Ephemeral) cloud VMs to run a distributed computation as an experiment.
More will follow.
How to access and manage your files on network fileservers, including:
- How to ensure your vital data is safely backed-up
- Recovering files from backups
- Laptop Encryption
- How to check your file quota
- Accessing your files remotely using Secure Copy (SCP) / Secure FTP (SFTP)
Please see the following CSG Printing Guide for information on setting up and using printers in DoC.
How to access and manage databases housed on one of the Department's database servers.
- Connecting to Microsoft SQL Server databases
- Connecting to PostgreSQL databases
- PostgreSQL connections from off-site
How to set up and use the web-hosting services provided for groups and individuals.
Private IaaS Cloud
You can find the main documentation for the Department's Private IaaS Cloud here, or a number of guides (mostly PDF documents) here:
- Setting up a VM
- Working with Templates
- VM deployment from template, Creating snapshot & template - Short Video
- Generate User API Keys - Video
- VM deployment using APIs - Video
- Download Custom ISO and Create VM - Video
- Read the contents of a VHD file on XCP/XenServer
Aug2014: We've written an ElasticSearch Tutorial showing a way of using our DoC private cloud to create a fleet of Short-lived (Ephemeral) cloud VMs to run a distributed computation as an experiment.
We provide some information about using Java in special ways in the Department:
- Using JDBC with Postgres and MS SQL Server
- Kerberos authentication using Java
- Introduction to Java Servlets, JSP, Tomcat etc
- JSP Tutorial - some Examples of Java Servlet Pages
- Using Personal Tomcat in DoC
- Servlet Tutorial - Some Examples of Java Servlets
Computer purchase and support
- Introduction to Version Control
- Version control with Git
- Version control with Git and Gitlab
- Gitlab and Continuous Integration
- Setting up a Group Subversion Repository
- Setting up a Personal Subversion Repository
Remote Access to DoC
How to set up and use remote access.